Cooling Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

aristotlewilde

Solid State Member
I built my first PC nearly a year ago, and learned a ton in the process. I never really thought that much about cooling though.

This past weekend, I decided to mess around a little and changed my air-cooling a bit. Pics are below, and I have a question regarding this setup.

I reversed the rear 120mm fan to make it an intake fan, and added two 80mm fans on the front above the 5.25" bays as exhaust fans. (their is an exhaust port on the front window inside the Infinit symbol).

The inside of the case is now 5-6 degrees cooler, although I have not had the time (or proper tape) to re-connect the thermometer leads to the GPU and CPU.

My question is about the side window. There is a small gap (less than 1/4 inch) between the window and the aluminum side panel all around the window. Would I be better suited sealing this gap so that the air is more pressurized through the case in your opinion??

Yes, I know, cable management is not my strong suit...

coolone.jpg

cooltwo.jpg

coolthree.jpg

I don't know much about cooling and stuff but I'd seal it up, even if it doesn't help cool it, it will still make it look better. I think it would help get the air out though if it was sealed up.

Dang man have a lot of wires hanging down do you :p

Anyways i wouldnt care, if you do want to then seal it up :confused:

Your rear 120mm fan should be set as an exhaust. For optimum cooling you want to create a "wind tunnel" effect in your case by taking air in the front and exhausting out the back and/or top. As for the side panel fan, it should be set as an intake.

I have it as a total wind tunnel right now (even more once I seal up that side panel), but apparently it is backwards.

So in your opinion, I should flip the front fans to intake and the rear to exhaust? Easy fix. I have no side fan.

well, as far as i can see, he has a back to front wind tunnel. umm i dont think the small gap is going to make that much difference. and as PZERO said, if you cleaned those wires up a bit, you would have much better airflow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom