network login help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmemerlot

Beta member
I'm hoping I can get some help here.

I recently bought a T30 thinkpad off ebay. Cavet empor! Was sold to me 'as is' in working condition.

Well it's in working condition, but I can't access anything as it's locked in a network login.

It'll start up, go through post, right into the windows login screen - where it asks me to enter my user name and password and domain name.

I've tried going into bios to set the computer to start off the dvd rom drive and put my xp disk in to try to do a clean install, but it continually goes into the login screen.

Please help. The guy who sold this laptop to me is no help at all, and I need to get access to this laptop.

Thanks!

Have you tried leaving it blank?

If there is an IBM Splash screen after post then it maybe covering the boot from cd screen keep hitting the space key (or any key) threw the boot sequence. Are you sure you set the bios correct

hit ctrl alt del to login

leave it blank?

"the system could not log you on. make sure your user name and domain are correct, then type your passwork again. letters in password must be typed using the correct case"

is the dialog box I receive.

nothing else works!

Any other suggestions?

so you have changed the boot order in BIOS but did you check that BIOS detected the DVD rom?
did you miss the prompt to boot from CD?
have you tried leaving the fields blank?
if all else fails you may be able to download a utility from
www.sysinternals.com
or alternatively you could take the drive out of the laptop and format it on another PC (note that i dont have a laptop newer than 15 years old lol :p)
sorry if this has been rubbish, its nearly 2 in the morning here in England:)

not rubbish! I really apprecieate any and all help given.

but no, I cannot access this stupid laptop!!

bios is set at startup to boot from 'removable devices first, then cdrom drive, then harddrive.

I have my xp installation disk in the dvd rom drive (just wishful thinking that it will pick it up and this ightmare will be over with a clean format)

post goes like tis....
ibm think pad screen (F1 for bios, F11 for recovery, (F11 does not work - tried it!)
windows splash screen with bar
then preparing network connections, then welcome to windows dialog box with hit ctrl alt del to begin.
when i hit ctrl alt del, i get.....
user name:
password:
log on to:

ok, cancel, shutdown....

HELP!!!!!

FlashDude said:
Have you tried leaving it blank?

If there is an IBM Splash screen after post then it maybe covering the boot from cd screen keep hitting the space key (or any key) threw the boot sequence. Are you sure you set the bios correct

Edit - Crap I missed those two post's, YOU can't set the boot order?? Why not?

Hit f1 and go into the bios and change the boot order!

Does the auto run work when you install the XP cd?? You can install it that way, But do the advanced clean install (it still can leave some old user files that way) But the best way is to boot from the XP cd. Why can't you get into the bios?? Does it have a password? This might help

http://www.elfqrin.com/docs/biospw.html

used administrator as user name and left password blank, and it let me in.

went into my d drive, and am setting up xp. trying to do a fresh install, but it's not allowing it.... it states..... to copy windows over last version will leave files behind.... and no option given for fresh (delete everything) install.

thanks for all your help!!!! you guys are the best!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom