distress call!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

djtension747

Solid State Member
i have tried everything i can think of at this point ...... i have changed out the mother board like 4 times , the processor was sent back to intel and sent back, replaced power supply, i have tryed every configuration .... !!...

[red]ok system is as follows:

-Intel BOXD975XBXLKR Socket T (LGA 775) Intel 975X ATX Intel Motherboard -=--chipset -Intel 82573

-Intel Pentium D 840 Smithfield 800MHz FSB LGA 775 Dual Core, EM64T Processor Model BX80551PG3200FN

pqi TURBO 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5400) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model PQI25400-2GDB (4 sticks total)

-Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

-Seagate 300GB Hard Drive

-CompUSA Power Supply with Smart Cable Management, 520W
Specifications:
ATX 12V Version 2.0, EPS 12V, ATX-GES Compatible
Over temperature, voltage, current and short circuit protection
Intelligent thermal fan control
Dual ball bearing fans
Stable voltage output
Modular motherboard connectors (20-pin to 24-pin interchangeable, no converter required) [red][/red]
Includes 2 SATA power connectors, 2 floppy disk drive power connectors, 7 peripheral connectors and one 6-pin PCI express graphic card power connector.

-PNY GeForce 6600 Video Card, PCI Express, 256MB DDR[/red]

so far i get it to turn over for a few seconds .. it never really powers on and sure as **** doesn't get to post .... i just got my processor back from intel and a neww mother board from newegg ... my memory hard drives and roms has checked out in previous attempts as you will read below .... my power supply is power saver so the fan only kicks on when it gets hot .... i have had to mess with the power configurations like between the 24 pin plug, the molex connector on the board, the pci express 4 pin card plug, and the 12v has 2x2 or 2x4..... when i plug the 12v 2x4 plug in it doesn't power at all, when it's 2x2 plug it revs or a second ... it's like all the configurations make the cpu fan rev longer or stronger.... it's like a voltage issue mabe but i don't know .... i have put the cmos jumpers on all settings, tried adding all ramm or one stick or two .... putting all components on and all off .... putting all front pannel connectors ( power sw, hd led, ect.) all on or just power sw ..... i thought maybe the surge protector might be limiting power so i ran it from different plugs in the house ..... i have major issues i think ..... my compatibilty maybe even though the processor and motherboard are tested by intel ... maybe the memory .... IF ANYONE CAN HELP I WOULD BE VERY VERY GREATFULL ... HELP!! .. I MIGHT JUST THROW IT ALL THREW THE WINDOW UP STAIRS SOON !!!!!! i've been on this for 3 months now ... always a problem .... thanx everyone for reading all this .......

have tried the:
[red]Gigabyte GA-G1975X Socket T (LGA 775) Intel 975X ATX Intel Motherboard[/red]
it was the first board i started with .... it was defective : 1 pci slot didn't not work .... second controller wouldn't install speial driver that was sent to me by tech support so it was malfunctioned i beleive ..... other wise it was powering up and we installed xp pro sp2 all the memory checked out all 4 gigs , sata drive was not purchased yet .... i didn't want to settle so i sent the motherboard back and purchased the ASUS
tried the :
[red]ASUS P5WD2-E Premium Socket T (LGA 775) Intel 975X ATX Intel Motherboard[/red]
it was always flaking in and out ... was fully operational with all ram and drives recognized for 1 boot up, then started losing drives and things would come and go from then on ..... till eventually i took it to class and we trouble shhoted it till it finally was practically dead ..... the cpu fan was fluctuating , you could hit the power button 15 times in a row and it might start up once but did not run post .... i came to the conclusion at this point as well as everyone in the class (which 3 of them a+ certified) that it was the cpu ... so i sent it in and replaced the motherboard with the Intel Boxd i have now.....

djtension747 said:
i have tried everything i can think of at this point ...... i have changed out the mother board like 4 times , the processor was sent back to intel and sent back, replaced power supply, i have tryed every configuration .... !!...

[red]ok system is as follows:

-Intel BOXD975XBXLKR Socket T (LGA 775) Intel 975X ATX Intel Motherboard -=--chipset -Intel 82573

-Intel Pentium D 840 Smithfield 800MHz FSB LGA 775 Dual Core, EM64T Processor Model BX80551PG3200FN

Theres ur problem right there "Intel" lol, jkes.

The initial symptoms would indicate an overheating CPU. It could also be that the first mobo that was bad fried the CPU. But more likely is that it is something you are doing. As far as I can tell from your list of problems, the same thing happens regardless of how many hardware swaps you make. All the parts seem to be working on there own.

I suggest installing RAM, video and CPU. No other devices, not even a HD at this point and see if it posts. If not it is, like I said either something you are doing wrong everytime, there really is a bad part or there is a short between the mobo and the case.

If it is something you are doing that usally means you THINK you are doing something correctly when in fact you are not. It could be anything at that point.
Try the above option and see if that helps.

borrow a PSU from a friend and try it out with as little components as possible..

thanx

thanx for replying back so soon .... it hasn't been the same problem for 3 months it just happened twice on two boards .... if the cpu is overheating like you suggested that would mean the both facorty fans were not strong enough ... i sent my processor back and they replaced it with a tested one ... what would you say to the possibility of some sort of voltage problem ?.... i'm going to keep trying .. i'll post any break throughs i make ..... anymore suggestions you have would be welcome ... thanx for your help .. cheers dave

try a different PSU first but after that if you still have no clue take it to a friend or store (thats lame and will cost you, but you said you've been on it for like 3 months?)

and for future reference, don't buy off brand PSUs, they can and commonly do wreck systems. Its much better to spend the money and get a good one.

and the guy that said your problem is intel wasn't totally wrong. Its pretty well known that they have issues with heat. They are faster than AMD but it comes at a price.

<<<Vote Five For PSU!!! I mean come on you tryed everything else!!

Every power saving (quite) PSU I "EVER" seen will still spin the fan when its cool. Very slowly but it still should spin.

thanks guys

i get paid tomorow i guess i will go buy a new psu ... any suggestions on a strong brand? i knew i shouldn't have got a comp usa one duhh .... so i guess it works but it's malfuctioning ? .... does that happen alot or do they usually just not work? .... ....

oh and just wonderin if anyone could guess what's up with this :
the molex connection on the board .... first what is it for like extrao power and to what ? . .. well my power supply has a cd rom molex that provides power constantly even when the psu is turned off and when i pug that into that molex conect on the board the fan runs smooth and all the dirves are on and leds but it never goes to post ..... is the some kind of meaning to that i'm not seeing?

cheers ya'll thanx .... dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom