DVI vs VGA

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoshSB

Geek Squad
Hey guys, I have a 7800GT video card with 2 DVI input slots, I am trying to find out if I need to get a LCD monitor with DVI cables or if VGA will be the same thing.

In other words: Does a DVI cable on a monitor make a noticeable difference than a VGA cable?

Forced into getting a LCD because of college, **** desks have barely any room at all in the first place, a 21" CRT doesnt work to well on them.

Main thing: I can get a good Viewsonic here at my local work for around $270, whereas it is missing the DVI cable, it only has VGA on it, I can get a samsung off of Newegg for roughly the same price with a DVI cable, granted this cable has to be plugged into both the monitor and the computer (does not come attached to the monitor)

So, what are your guy's suggestions?

The CRT I have is dieing so getting a LCD now would be nice, but three days wont kill me. Thanks guys.

-Josh

I noticed a difference between VGA and DVI. I mean if it is the same price and your video card is capable, you might as well go with it since it will most likely be the future.

The way I understand it (and this may be wrong so f it is, I apologize) is...

Video degredation in LCD monitors occurs when the analogue signal in the VGA cable is converted in a digital signal (in the LCD). DVI is digital however, so no analogue-to-digital conversion takes place, and therefore video degredation is kept to a minimum.

This is why there is a noticable difference between VGA and DVI based LCDs.

As I say though, I may very well be wrong, this is just what I've heard.

does anyone here actually see a noticeable difference? I have a 7900gt but use a VGA LCD monitor, and it looks fine to me.

I think you'll only notice it if 2 monitors were setup next to each other, and you had someone pointing out the differences. If you have 2 of the exact same monitors, one using VGA and one using DVI, the DVI would be the better option.

But since you are choosing between 2 different monitors, one that has VGA and the other has DVI, I would find out which one has the best specs, and base your judgement off of that. If they have roughly the same specs, then I would get the DVI. If the VGA has better specs, then get that.

Go for the DVI. It is digital instead of analog. I remember reading an article on DVI vs. VGA and DVI was totally the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom