Here's a tough one. Hope you can help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boston Mike

Solid State Member
I currently have a dual boot Athalon 64. I am running win XP and Win 64 bit. All was fine until this morning. I went to the computer to find a black screen that said " insert bootable media". I have an SATA drive that was loaded with the current VIA drivers. It seems that the drivers went missing. I loaded the OS disk and it still sees the partitions. It seems like it can't find the SATA drivers. I also have a copy of Knopixx that I can run. I just don't know where to install the drivers that I need. Any info would be greately appreciated. -Mike

Your boot sector is messed up, hummm the trickey part will be keeping both os's,,, I am not sure what will happen to your dual boot because everytime I do this its to remove a grub and make the hdd single boot.

Boot to dos and type in A:> fdisk /mbr

The knopixx can be run from dvd drive. Is there any way I can boot up with this and edit the boot sector? Or can I boot with Knopixx and place the SATA drivers where they need to go?

macdude425, I am not familiar with command line AT ALL. If I run fixboot or fixmbr, is that all I have to type there? Or do I need colons or slashes somewhere?

macdude425, You are the BEST!!!! You fixed my computer! Thankyou, Thankyou, Thankyou! I have posts out on 3 other online forums and you were the only one that could help me. THANK YOU!
You don't smoke cigars do you? I could send you a coupla nice ones to repay your help. LMK -Mike

FlashDude said:
Your boot sector is messed up, hummm the trickey part will be keeping both os's,,, I am not sure what will happen to your dual boot because everytime I do this its to remove a grub and make the hdd single boot.

Boot to dos and type in A:> fdisk /mbr

Since your post sat here for 3 hours before I posted this I will take a cigar, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom