hard drive jumper settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidje14

Baseband Member
Hi!

I just purchased a Maxtor 120 GB HD. I am going to install it on a computer that currently has a samsung 80GB HD. The maxtor is going to be the Master HD. So I set the jumper for DS(Master), easy enough.

The samsung is not so easy. It has 2 jumpers that give you the standard choices over 3 catagories, HUh?? The 3 catagories are:

1) Jumper setting (lower 32 GB)
2) Jumper setting ( upper 32 GB)
3) Jumper setting ( 32 GB clip)

What does that mean?

The manufacturer originaly set it up as " Cable select" under Catagory #2. So is it safe to assume that I set it up under #2 as slave?

....or you can do the smart and easiest thing to make the 120 gig slave and not have to screw with your current master

That would be easiest but not possible. The system 32 files got screwed up so I can't boot. Tried the fix software route, you can read all about it in the windows software section of this forum.(if you can find it, probably on page 4 or 5 by now) I already reformatted once, when it did this same thing to me about a month ago! and I am not going to do that again. I am assuming that there is a problem with my present hardrive. My solution is to get a new hardrive and access it that way without having to reload everything. Hey, I wanted more memory anyway.

hdd's have nothing to do with memory

and if the hdd is corrupt, even set as slave it wont work

Well he boots off the 120GB and he can read the files on the 80GB so he is basically using it as storage :p geez static...

Anyways just set it as cable select if its an IDE hdd and use the middle IDE slot thingy on the wire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom