Dual Core Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know of a list of programs and games the utilize both cores? All I know is that King Kong does.

Quake 4 has a multicore option checkbox in the preferences...i have a single core so I haven't been able to check it out.

lol good point. i hate wow addicts. serious, the only problems i've ever encountered with my x2 3800+ and games is some don't like to run across both cores (they don't actually use both cores to full potential just the equivelant of one processor, each core is at half usage). setting the game to one core fixes it. basically the issue appears kind of like stuttering. FPS will seem fairly constant but despite that everything will look jerky and sometimes even freeze. i have seen a similar problem in some programs, on being the leadtek tuner card software

Oblivion, Quake 4, Call of Duty 2, City of Villains, Battlefield 2, Falcon 4.0 Allied Force, FEAR, The Movies, Tony Hawk's American Wasteland, Vangauard Saga of Heros, Serious Sam 2, King Kong, Age of Empires III, GR:AW, and WoW* (there are more) are currently supported. WoW and FEAR supposably recognize multiple cores but don't get really any real-word performance from them. Some of the games use patches to support dual-core like COD2.

Unreal Tournament 2007 and Unreal Engine 3.0 are going to support dual-core. I wouldn't say there isn't that much DC supported games right now, but most don't.

*From what I hear WoW recognizes them, but doesn't really use them like other dual-core supported games. I'm not 100% sure about this.

Never heard of an older game like BF2 supporting them. Never saw a patch either. Falcon 4.0 Allied Forces is deffinately an old game as well. Serious Sam can be run on my old 950 Duron lol.

go to the processes tab on task manager (ctrl-alt-del).

say i want to set msn messenger to run on the second core i find its process in this list (i figure you can guess which one it is :p). right click on the process and click the option that says "set affinity". you will see two cpu's listed. cpu 0 is the first core and cpu 1 is the second. all you do is make sure only the second is checked or the first, which ever you wish to set the application to use. to find which process corresponds to your game or whichever program you are using you can use the applications tab on task manager. when you open it and have the program running right click on it in applications and click "go to process" and it will highlight it for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom