Building my very first rig...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think just the 480W truepower will do for now. I'll need to upgrade my PSU when I get another graphics card anyway (because I don't think the antecs support SLi... but I may be wrong).

I plan to upgrade my system a good deal in a years time anyway.

I live in Uk too and have just built my first computer. I didnt buy a gfx card cos i didnt have enough money and so im still using my ATI x700. My build cost me about £650 which i think is extremely good for wat i bought. If i bought a new gfx card and monitor then it would have come to around £1000 so you should defintly be able to get some better components.

I would recommend getting either the Opty 175 if you are going to be overclocking or the 4400+ which i have. And to answer your question about 'are dual cores really gonna help that much in games?' then i would say YES! in November UT2007 will be released and this is the first game (i think) to use dual core cpu's so if you have a single core cpu then good luck on trying to play that game. I would also recommend getting the Hiper R type 580 W psu so when u get SLi it will definetly be able to handle it.

I recommend buying from www.ebuyer.com www.scan.co.uk and www.overclockers.co.uk These are the best 3 places to buy from.
My specs are below

What you spent on a better processor, I'm spending on more RAM. Simply because the extra RAM will benefit me immediatly, whereas the better CPU, whilst being better in the long run, won't be as big of a difference right now. In a few months I'll have made more money and will be able to upgrade my system further (better case/PSU, better CPU etc).

But right now, I'm on a budget, and I really can't go much higher than a grand.

Then dont go over a grand. It is a h3ll of a lot easier if you buy a better cpu now and get 1 gb of ram than to get a not so good cpu and get 2 gb of ram.

It makes a lot more sense to buy a better cpu and upgrade the ram than the other way round. RAM is way cheaper than a cpu so you would be wasting more money. If you get 1GB of ram you can upgrade it when you get a bit more money and a lot less hassle of a new cpu.

Get a better cpu now and upgrade the RAM later i think.

You may have a point. But it'll still cost me an extra ~£75 to go for the X2 4400 and 1GB of ram.

Although... if I really wanted to... I could keep the 2GB of ram and just go for the X2 4400+ anyway. It'll take the total up to around £1150-£1200 but I can afford it. Hmmm... some more pondering is required.

lol then go for it. Even if you just get 1gb of ram you can easily get another 1gb of the same ram to make it dual channel when u next get paid.

Perhaps I should go for the opteron 165 instead. They're only an extra £100 as opposed to an extra £150. And they're dual core. How far will they overclock?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom