which PowerBook G4? vs Pentium M (centrino)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DesiLILO

Beta member
Hi,

I currently own a IBM R40 laptop...

Specs :-
Pentium M 1.3GHz with Centrino,
40GB hard disk
256 MB RAM
Combo drive (DVD/CD-RW)
Wireless, irDA, etc etc
Windows Xp professional and Office xp (came pre-installed)

As I'm going to give this one to my bro, I'm going to buy a new one. This time I wanna give a try at Apple PowerBook series....

Wondering which PowerBook actually out-performs the above configuration in terms of speed??? Is a PowerBook G4 1 Ghz atleast equivalent to Pentium M 1 Ghz? Or do I need to use some other basis to compare the processor speed rather than just the clock speeds???

Well Id say the Pentium M series is about on par with Apple chips. So roughly a 1GHz G4 is about 1.3GHz Penium M.

I think that your Centrino chip will outperform the Powerbook. Centrinos are a beautiful thing. I've seen benchmarks in magazines (PC Gamer and Maximum PC) that tested the Centrino 1.3 ghz against a laptop with a 2.8 ghz *desktop* P4 and the Centrino was still more powerful! Apple makes all of its processors itself, so their speeds don't evolve as quickly.

You should try finding some benchmarks, though. It'll probably be hard because the two processors would have to use different programs to test themselves on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom