Low Computer Performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpcaron

Solid State Member
I've recently acquired a new computer using mostly high-end pieces mainly for desktop usage (mostly very large Photoshop images), but I'm also a big gamer and I found its 3D performance to be very weak compared to other similar computers.

Here are the specs..

ASUS P4P800
Intel 2.8ghz @ 3.06ghz
2x256 PC3200 DDR SDRAM in dual channel
Western Digital Raptor 10k RPM S-ATA 36GB
Sound Blaster Live! (yeah, so what, I'm used to it ;)
ASUS Geforce FX5200 @ 260/420

For some reason, the video card's memory clock defaulted at 330 even though the specs say 400, so it's actually overclockedby 90 in some way... The load times are rather fast, and it seems very efficient for Photoshop, but I've not done any benchmark for that.

I scored a whopping 1175 3DMarks with default settings (with fairly low settings in video card control panel, 56.64 drivers), which is low considering I've seen reviews of un-OC'd computers with similar specs from a fresh install popping 1500s easily...

Could anyone help me out as of what's wrong here? I want to play Lineage II in 19x14 with at least 40FPS but from the looks of it I'll have a hard time getting 60FPS in 800x600..

Extra infos:

Motherboard Info
Manufacturer ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
Model P4P800
Version Rev 1.xx
BIOS Vendor American Megatrends Inc.
BIOS Version 080009
BIOS Release Date 12/12/2003
BIOS Properties Plug and Play, Flash, AGP
AGP
Revision 3.0
Rate 4x, 8x (8x enabled)
Available Rate 0x0000000c
Selected Rate 0x00000008
Aperture Size 128 MB
Sideband Addressing supported (enabled)
Fast Write supported (enabled

Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz 3.1 GHz
Manufacturer Intel
Family Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
Internal Clock 3.1 GHz
Internal Clock Maximum 3.6 GHz
External Clock 220.0 MHz
Socket Designation CPU 1
HyperThreadingTechnology Available - 2 Logical Processors
Capabilities MMX, CMov, RDTSC, SSE, SSE2
Version Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
Caches
Level 1 8 KB
Level 2 512 KB
Level 3 0 B

Windows XP SP1

the FX 5200 is pretty weak when you want high performance .
Check if changing UC or USWC settings in bios makes a difference. Id get a VC .

Your going to get pretty low scores on anything dealing with graphics because the FX line of graphics cards is pretty weak especially the 5200. If what you are doing has nothing to do with graphics then your computer should run fairly fast, as everything else is decent equiptment

The only thing weak in your PC seems to be your video card. Swap it for an ATI 9600se (they're about the same price) or even higher. nVidia's current line of cards stink performace-wise when compared to ATI's; nobody seems to know why exactly, but ATI has a new memory thingy with something about .13 microns compared to nVidia's .15 microns (wow).
I also experienced performance problems with my Geforce FX 5600 256 MB card. I was getting, like, 40 fps in Deus Ex 2 in 800x600, even without AA enabled! My specs are:
Athlon 1800+, 512 MB RAM, SB Live!, 40 gig HD.
From online benchmarks, people with almost the exact same hardware were getting 60-90 fps with the same settings! The only difference? They had a mid or low-end ATI video card!

Well, thanks for the ideas people.. I'll probably switch to an ATI card soon anyway, but the problem here was that people with very similar specs including similar video card (just another manufacturer) were getting as much as 30% better performance than me ;( And yes I have the latest drivers and all.

I'm a little stumped with this (that's not saying much). This might sound dumb, but you've got anti-aliasing and such turned off in your Performance tab, right? I made that mistake once and boy did I feel silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom