Slowing Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelKing

Solid State Member
I've got two questions.

1)Why do programs lag for the first miniute or so on startup?
2)Why does my computer seem to slow down to the extreme when doing a virus or spyware scan, installing a program, etc?
Do I need to install more memory?

Custom Built
Windows XP Pro SP2 (Fresh Install)
14GB HD
256DDR
Intel Pentium 4 @ 1.6GHZ

Cause you have only a 1.4GHz Processor and 256MB of RAM.

The RAM is bare minimum for XP. It is recommended to run at least 512MB if not 1GB of RAM. Then you would notice it is a bit faster. But the processor is ilder also. I have a 3.4GHz with 2GB of RAM.

I ran XP fine with 2.4 Intel P4 and 480Mb RAM. Your need a hardware upgrade or you should go down to windows 2K if not another OS such as linux.

("Some members will never relise how hard it was for me to offer that advice")

Well, memory is your issue there.

Dependant on what you want to do with the PC, I would double your RAM at least, but upgrading to 1024MB is going to show you a **** of a difference, and the awesome thing is that RAM isn't expensive to buy, if you just go for the middle of the road stuff.

I'd also suggest turning off all the fancy graphics in XP as well so you've got the Windows 2000 look.

I'd also check in MSCONFIG and see what you've got in your start up, as that could be slowing you down.

Well Tyler has some of the best advice. I would install 2000 on the system unless you plan to upgrade the RAM. The CPU isnt the most powerful at 1,6 GHZ but with more RAM you will notice a major speed difference.

in case if u don't plan to upgrade ur cpu or ram
try to stop unnecessary startup from msconfig, it will speed up ur compter a little bet

just click on start > RUN then type msconfig

PC with 300 megahertz or higher processor clock speed recommended; 233 MHz minimum required (single or dual processor system);* Intel Pentium/Celeron family, or AMD K6/Athlon/Duron family, or compatible processor recommended

• 128 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher recommended (64 MB minimum supported; may limit performance and some features)

• 1.5 gigabytes (GB) of available hard disk space*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom