Vista to support 64bit CPU's??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea, I've heard it's going to be all 32-bit except for the highest-end edition of Vista, and the server edition, which will be 64-bit.

No there will be a Server edition that will be 32Bit also. There are people Beta Testing it on 32Bit machines. The Ultimate Edition will be available for 32Bit machines.

Ok, I meant to say the Starter Edition is 32 bit only. And yes it is reported to be a crippled versioin....so nope all versions don't have the same features....btw, if all had the same features; what would be the need for different versions?

All the rest will be both 32 and 64 bit.

These are the versions that have been announced.

Vista Starter supporting 32 bit only (crippled)
Vista Basic 64 bit (yep you can still run 32 bit programs)
Vista Home premium
Vista Professional Edition
Vista Enterprise
Vista Small Business
Vista Ultimate

Now looking at the initial question. It looks as though he is asking about 64bit CPUs being support (not the programming code) to which the answer is a yes.

Tyler, It looks as though your remark was directed towards me. To which I have to reply that I think both of you read too much into my one liner.

Now tell me what was wrong in that one liner....................

Makaveli213 said:
That is totally false. Windows Vista will be fully equiped no matter if it is 32bit or 64bit. The 32bit Ultimate Edition will have the same features that the 64bit Ultimate Edition will have. This is not one of those Move to 64Bit or else OS's. That is the one after Vista. Codename Vienna. That will only be 64bit.

So yes there will be a 32 Bit Vista. Yes there will be a Ultimate Edition in 32 Bit. Just as there will be a 64Bit Ultimate edition. The only difference is the 64Bit wont support 16Bit Software as it doesnt now. Only 32Bit and 64Bit software will work on it.

Yea, i'd sure as heck would hope windows would come out with an OS that would support 64-bit hahaha. Especially considering they came out with 64-bit XP.

i mainly wanted to ask ur opinion on it, cause you don't need a 64 bit compliant OS to operate a 64 bit CPU, but thanks for clearing that up.......

Oh would you know what different types they will release for Vista 9 (ie XP home or pro)?

So vista is just a more faster/upgrade of windows xp?

EDIT: Is this OS available to get or is it still under construction?

maybe.... we all hope so!

nevermind about the different versions of Vista:

Windows Vista Starter
Much like the Windows XP Starter Edition, this edition will be limited to emerging markets, mainly to offer a legal alternative to using unauthorized copies. It will be severely limited, for example only allowing a user to launch at most three applications with a user interface at once, will not accept incoming network connections, and physical memory is limited to 256 MB.

Windows Vista Home Basic
Similar to Windows XP Home Edition, Home Basic is intended for budget users not requiring advanced media support for home use. The "Aero Glass" theme with translucent effects will not be included with this edition. Home Basic will support up to 8 GB of physical memory.

Windows Vista Home Premium
Based on the Windows Vista Home Basic, this edition will additionally support more advanced features aimed for the home market segment, such as HDTV support and DVD authoring. Extra games, mobile and tablet computer support, file system encryption, and a photo management application are also included. This edition is comparable to Windows XP Media Center Edition and Tablet PC Edition. Home Premium will support up to 16 GB of physical memory.

Windows Vista Business
Comparable to Windows XP Professional, and aimed at the business market. Does not include the Media Center features of Home Premium, but does include the IIS web server, fax support, offline files, dual physical processor support, Remote Desktop, ad-hoc P2P collaboration capabilities, and support for 128 GB of memory. Product activation is not present in this edition.

Windows Vista Enterprise
This edition is aimed at the enterprise segment of the market, and is a superset of the Business edition. Additional features include a single-session version of Virtual PC, multilingual user interface support, BitLocker Drive Encryption, and UNIX application support. This edition will not be available through retail or OEM channels.

Windows Vista Ultimate
This edition combines all the features of Home Premium and Enterprise editions, and additionally comes with podcast creation support — which Microsoft has dubbed "blogcasting" — a game performance tweaker (code-named WinSAT), DVD ripping capabilities, and special online services for downloadable media, as well as additional customer service options. The Ultimate edition is aimed to be the most impressive edition of Vista, aimed at high-end PC users, gamers, multimedia professionals, and PC enthusiasts. Like the Business and Enterprise versions, product activation will not be required.

courtesy of Wiki

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom