Memory Misconception

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOtis

Daemon Poster
I've noticed this often so I decided i'd make a post about it. Not a big deal by any means, just something I thought should be cleared up. Just use basic math folks.

If you buy two sticks of 512's how would you come to the conclusion that 512+512= 1,000?

1 gig does NOT equal 1,000 MB's

1 gig DOES equal 1,024 MB's

1.5 gigs does NOT equal 1,500 MB's

1.5 gigs DOES equal 1,536

2 gigs does NOT equal 2,000MB's

2 gigs DOES equal 2,048 MB's

And so on and so on......

I hate when I waste time reading stupid stuff. Most people know that and it doesnt really matter anyway, which is why everyone rounds.

Because Giga is used as a unit for 1,000,000,000 almost everyother place except computers. In true basic math 1 giga = 1000 megas.

1,000,000,000 bytes would = 1 gigabyte if they followed the international standard.

So obviously 512MB + 512MB should equal 1.024GB.

Giga doesn't mean 1,024,000,000; but it does when it comes to comptuers.

This is also why HDD companies mark their hard drives using traditional standards and 1 gigabyte = 1000 megabytes, but when you look at the size through windows it looks smaller.

I can see your point that people should think that 512 + 512 should equal 1024, but who gives a f@ck honestly? I don't see a big deal that someone would need to know that 1 gig in a computer means 1024 in megabytes, the only time it would matter is in hard drives but they already put it into true math. I guess we're too lazy to say 1.024GB.

wow, this helped me a lot, i was so confused when i was asking on building a computer, EVERYONE said get 2048MB of ram. i was like wat? but then it turns out it was just 2GBs, that was a close one, thank Otis.

*sarcasm*

Cool *******s. Did i aim that directly and you smartasses? No.

It was from me reading threds and seeing people say that.

Did you need to respond in sarcastic ways? No.

It was for a good amount of people i've read from threds and it bugged me so I decided to make a post about it, deal with it.

And evel monkey, did it sound stupid to me? Obviously not, go **** yourself.

EDIT: My intention for this was for people that honetly didn't know.

EDIT: I now feel like a completle **** for my response, my apologies haha.

I love you OTIS...dont be mean. I was just saying most people that round know how it works, its just easier to round.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom