Need Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrscientific13

In Runtime
Well it's my first time building a computer and I was wondering...what would be a good (and not too expensive) motherboard to buy if I'm getting an Intel Pentium D 950 Dual Core Processor (3.4 GHz, 4MB, 800MHz FSB, Socket 775). I appreciate any suggestions.

if you going for that get a Gigabyte GA-G1975X.

but im gonna sugest something, the pentium D 950 is arounf $340, but you can get an opteron 165, which is much better than the Pentium D and overclocks more, for $325.

or if your gonna go intel, i think there gonna release a new chipset soon that will support conre, so if it comes out soon just get a pentium 4 631 and tough it out until conroe.

Why the opty is better than the PD: im pretty sure it has to so something with the memory divider on the Pentium D, plus intel dual core arcitecture is all messed up but they fixed it with the dual core conroe chips.

ask around for info on why the opty is better exept for overclockability.

Go for the pentium D 950 and overclock it to arounf 5.0ghz if you getting water coling or anything better, otherwise get the opty 165/170 and oc it to around 2.6ghz, which is a good overclock if your a beginner.

Thanks for the quick reply. I think I might go with the Penitum D because I don't really want to mess around with overclocking just yet. My budget is also not the highest thing in the world so I don't want to spend a bunch more on a motherboard, RAM, a video card, and a PSU that can handle the overclocking. Not to mention the cooling system. Also do you have any suggestions for a PSU and RAM?

if ur not going to get a Conroe, get an AMD Dual Core For sure, everyone will agree with me.

I'm starting to think a little more and I do need to get a bit more money as I'm a bit tight at the moment. Maybe I will wait for the Conroe chips. I would still value advice on the Pentium D chip though...
I still need some recomendations on what kind of RAM to get. I'm looking for something along the lines of a one gigabyte chip or two 512's and the name of a brand to use for upgrades.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom