CeleronD vrs Sempron

Status
Not open for further replies.
both are cripled versions of higher end processors..

sempron is a cripled version of the athlon

celeron is the crippled version of the pentium

the way they cripple it is they pretty much half the L2 cache.

and since, IMHO, athlons are simply better than pentiums, semprons should be better than celerons. but.. as people have said in these forums (i believe them) is that the pentiums rely more heavily on their L2 cache than the athlons, so the reduced L2 cache hurts the celeron a lot more than the sempron. which makes the sempron even better than the celeron (or, more appropriately, makes the celeron worse than the sempron).

its based on opinion.

I think Celeron is better, because the top-line celeron will run at the price of a bottom-line Pentium 4.

WOW so the 2600+ sempron in socket 754 is ok out the box... but an absolute beast when over-clocked it seems.

speaking of overclocking... what kind of long term effects does that have on the semprons long term reliability. Also what board is easiest to do the over-clocking on.... and just how do you go about doing it... is it as simiple as changing some jumpers and bios settings or what?

That's a great comparison, but why didn't they leave them stock? Considering 9.9 out of 10 are not going to overclock.

DoH!! sorry my bad I didn't see them listed twice, lol

they compared both stock and overclocked.. (in the list, the yellow bars are the stock sempron and the oc'd sempron)

protonfusion said:
WOW so the 2600+ sempron in socket 754 is ok out the box... but an absolute beast when over-clocked it seems.

speaking of overclocking... what kind of long term effects does that have on the semprons long term reliability. Also what board is easiest to do the over-clocking on.... and just how do you go about doing it... is it as simiple as changing some jumpers and bios settings or what?

so anybody know anything about that?

its based on opinion.

I think Celeron is better, because the top-line celeron will run at the price of a bottom-line Pentium 4.

talldude it is not based on opinion at all. it is clear that one is better and regardless of opinion that will not change. i just looked up the price of a Celeron D 3.0ghz, in Australia it costs about $20 more than a Sempron 3000+. i believe the 3000+ would outperform it in general and also be far better in games. the only adavantage to the Celeron D is upgradeability

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom