Windows Vista Beta cripples gaming pcs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
its gonna use a ton of everything. good thing im getting a new comp when it comes out! plus i get a free copy through my school! :)

Tordenskjold said:
im pretty sure the requirements were 512mb RAM. and why does an OS need a 64mb graphics card? They should keep it simple.

vista doesn't need 64mb graphics card to run. it need 64mb video card and DX9 card to run areo glass. Older cards can run it but without areo glass.

Yea and that version is basically exactly like windows 98. Oh yay if we want good performance and want to play dx10 games we need to run an OS that looks like windows 98. I think they should of just made something with all the new features but something that looks kind of like xp.

I believe that Vista is actually supposed to help games:

...Windows on the other hand, have been saddled with the Window graphics device interface (GDI). Applications don't talk to GDI, which in turn interacted with the drivers for the application. So, what's the big news here? Well, Vista removes this roadblock. It is another benefit of the OS's requirement of an DX9 capable video card. Though there will be a compatabillity mode for older applications that need the GDI, new applications - mainly games - written especially for Vista will be able to take the same path that the Xbox has enjoyed, and with it get a performance boost that representatives have said may be about 30 to 40 percent....

Source: PC Magazine

cvb724 said:
its gonna use a ton of everything. good thing im getting a new comp when it comes out! plus i get a free copy through my school! :)

How are they giving you a free copy?! I want one! ;)

Let's hope that there aren't so many delays that you have graduated by the time it is released.

Sure is funny the grasp that Microsoft has on us. Many tend to think that our present systems will cease to function just because a new OS is being released. Boy if the auto manufactors could get us thinking like this, think of the shape they would be in. Can you say trading your year old GTO with 350 ponies for the next model year with 400 and so on and on.

cvb724 said:

I'm not understanding why anoyone would consider installing Windows Vista Anything on a current "GAMING PC". What's the point? Just to say, "Hey, i've got the vista beta? Big deal. At this point, the only thing that seems to be a top interest to GAMERS is DX10. But, then you'll need a DX10 video card and you'll need a game that supports DX10. Right now, there are none. And it will still be awhile before any are available.

So, what do you want the fun gadget GUI items? Well, hate to tell you there are TONS of them available for Windows 2000 & XP. Sure Vista will have other good features, but nothing that will augment your gaming experience, UNLESS you build a whole new Vista Hardware PC. Like, Hybrid HDD Drives, DX10 Videocards and new LCD monitors. Which isn't going to happen anytime soon.

I've said it 1000 times.... Think about Vista in about 12 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom