Mobile AC Adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

CommonCents

Solid State Member
I have a Gateway CX200 (the swivel LCD) laptop and i'm looking for a AC adapter to be able to use my computer in my car. i recently bought the CyberPower 140W (model CPS140CHI). it didnt work when i plugged it in, all i got were beeps which means either too much power is going to it or not enough. to make a long story short. can someone please advice me on which one to get or what i'm suppose to be looking for when i take the old one back

BTW great site!

Did you turn the car on when you plugged it in to test it? because you will get more power with the car on.

however i would not use a Laptop or any expensive device by pluggin it into your car threw a power converter... unless you get a good enough one, witch would probably cost you no less then maybe $80 probably more(im guessing iv never bought one). i do know that you will get dirty power from running a converter off your car, if the converter isnt powerfull/reliable enough. and a dirty(unstable) electric current can damage electronic devices.

If you dont wont to spend the money on a good converter. just use the laptop running off its own battery, and then plug it into your crappy converter when its powered off to charge the battery(the batt cant be affected by dirty power).. but dont run it off the crappy converter as a power source

"Did you turn the car on when you plugged it in to test it?"

Yes, I did. thats when the beeps happen.

So are you saying I should only plug up my laptop when my car is off? i drive around a lot for work so i'm eventually going to use my laptop for GPS as well thats why i need a good adapter

No, you cant use a power converter for an extended period of time while the car is off anyway.... because the coverter is probably only 60% efficent(give or take, depending on how good it is) so it will suck up a lot of juice draining your battery.... however that probably doesnt apply to charging the laptop batter while the laptop is off, because thats a small load.

i said... either buy a good converter. or dont use your Laptop pluged into the car.. just use the Laptop running off its own battery power. But when the Laptop is Off, you can plug it in to charge its battery if you stay using that cheap PowerConverter.

Do you need to use your Laptop often when your in your car? or for only short periods of time?.... because a good more expensive power converter can properly handle the electric current when the car is On/Running.... But when the Car is OFF, then any converter(probably even cheap ones) will get fairly stable power because its only running off the card Battery with no interfearences.

If you only need to use your laptop acationally in your car, then you can do it with that cheap converter, when the card is OFF. Ingnoring the GPS factor for now, if you need the comp on most of the time for other reasons, then i would invest in a Good/More expensive PowerConverter if i were you.

..... if you travel a lot because of work... and if you work for a company.... and if its work you need to be dooing on your laptop wen your on the road... then its more then reasonable, and the company probably woulnd have a problem paying or providing you with a Proper/Good converter for your Car.

Iv never used GPS..... and i may be wrong, but this is just what common scense is telling me... they may provide there service similar like phone companies... so you may beable to find a GPS service provider that provides the GPS Display unit for free if you sign up for there service... that way you wont need to use your Laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom