Networking with Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Switch

Fully Optimized
Why is networking with XP such a pain in the butt?

Since I've installed XP on my computer, I have yet to create a successful network with it. I can never see other people on the network, and if I do, I can never EVER get around to logging in to share files. XP just refuses to log anyone into my computer even with the correct username and password. :mad: I never had these problem with windows 2000, and this is so frustrating!

Besides installing all the protocols, being in the same workgroup, and having the right log-in's, what else is there to set up for a windows network? I know there are extra security things with XP, but are they supposed to completely stop people from logging in to share files? IÂ’ve tried configuring IPÂ’s, but that doesnÂ’t work either.

Games run fine over the network, itÂ’s just that whenever I hook up to one I either see nobody, or I can't log in to transfer stuff. Whats going on?

I also have trouble with networking on XP, mostly because of that ****ing firewall.

Its a pain in the ***, and i always leave it off, cause i have a router :)

To browse computers on the network make sure that the computer browser service is enabled. To do this you will need to go to control panel and go to administrative tools, go to services and search for computer browser. If the xp firewall is the problem go to control panel click windows firewall and turn it off. You can configure windows firewall to allow the appropiate network connections for your needs.

What problems you have that are most present? I have my home network setup running XP Home and Pro and always go back and fourth between them without network prompts? I simply browse them as if I was on a domain...hmmm... Let me see what I did I dont think it was anything special.

Ok I lied to you I remeber how I did this now after looking at my setup ;-) This like any workgroup for passthrough authentication to work must have a common account setup on all workgroup computers. This will allow auth to take place on each workgroup computer :)

If you need more detail..let me elaborate. You create an account on lets say all 5 of your workgroup computers named EXACTLY the samething with EXACTLY the same password no exceptions. To save time I usually create a new user say WGUSERS make the admins to the local machine and set the password. Then do this on each PC in the workgroup. Logon as this user on the workgroup on any PC and auth will take place and you can simply browse and not be prompted for credentials.

If you already have accounts in place that you are currently using then simply add those accounts to each of the work group computers and make them admins with the same password you are using. This is why workgroups suck so bad because there is no central authentication system like kerberos in an AD env with the tickets and ticket granting tickets and..yea dont want to get to nerdy there ;-)

Sw1tCh[FX] said:
XP just refuses to log anyone into my computer even with the correct username and password. :mad:

I'm thinking that he has a 3rd party firewall blocking connections. that's usually what happens when you see the password screen

or on the computer ur trying to access, create a new user and then when the computer ur on trying to access the other, use the username and password u just created to log on.. if this makes any sense

Re: Re: Networking with Windows XP

EricB said:
I'm thinking that he has a 3rd party firewall blocking connections. that's usually what happens when you see the password screen

I always turn my firewall off when i hook up to a LAN because we're seldom ever connected to the internet when we do it.

Re: Re: Re: Networking with Windows XP

Sw1tCh[FX] said:
I always turn my firewall off when i hook up to a LAN because we're seldom ever connected to the internet when we do it.

what firewall are you using? certain one like ZA pro will still block the connection even if it is turn off, unless you have it configured for networking.

I use the Nvidia forceware firewall because of the hardware support on my motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom