Two questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vermilion

Beta member
Hi, I'm kind of new about building computers but I have a strong feeling that I know what I'm doing. I have my list of parts and I'm sure I have everything for it.

But I have a few things that confuse me. Is a DDR stick of memory the same thing as a stick of RAM?

Do I have to buy my operating system (windows xp home edition) or does a piece of my hardware come with it? If so, do I boot when my computer is turning on? (the part where you press F11 to boot from cd or something)

RAM stands for Random Access Memory , a general word for computer memory

DDR stands for Double Data Rate , its a memory type

it doesnt come with the hardware you need to buy it and yeah basicly youll need to boot from the windows cd then to create partitions & format & continue to install

1st: there are may different kinds of memory, but if you're building a new system, then yes, a stick of DDR can be referred to as a stick of RAM.
2nd: you'll have to BUY a copy of windows, but buying some hardware allows you to get a "OEM" copy of Windows at a cheaper price
3rd: yes
4th: with some of these questions you're asking, i'm not sure you should build your own computer. I'm sorry to say, but if you don't even know how to install Windows, you REALLY shouldn't be messing with this stuff too much.

I apologize if i'm being too harsh

jdhore1 said:
i'm not sure you should build your own computer. I'm sorry to say, but if you don't even know how to install Windows, you REALLY shouldn't be messing with this stuff too much.
im sure there was a time you didnt knew how to install windows yourself , so thats indid too harsh , theres a first time for everything+theres windows install guides on various sites

jdhore1 said:
1st: there are may different kinds of memory, but if you're building a new system, then yes, a stick of DDR can be referred to as a stick of RAM.
2nd: you'll have to BUY a copy of windows, but buying some hardware allows you to get a "OEM" copy of Windows at a cheaper price
3rd: yes
4th: with some of these questions you're asking, i'm not sure you should build your own computer. I'm sorry to say, but if you don't even know how to install Windows, you REALLY shouldn't be messing with this stuff too much.

I apologize if i'm being too harsh

About the 4th one, booting it from the cd was what I thought. I posted these here because I was just checking to make sure that I was getting it right. I booted a cd at startup once and it screwed up my computer. It was a recovery disc but not licensed to my computer so I guess that was the problem.

Also I plan to get all my parts when I get a job and it will take about 3 years to do including saving up. So I have a lot of time to learn more.

lol so your gonna build it in 3 years huh? , then whats the rush you have time alot of it :D

Just getting a head start :p

I'm also going to get a degree in technology and engineering and hopefully become a computer engineer.

New Computer

I think that you should get a book or something to learn about this kind of stuff first... anyway good luck.

Good luck I hope things work out for you. Post as many questions as you like. When I was in high school everything was main frame's there was no such thing as windows, lol I was looking at a network technology course but my dad convinced me it was all just a fad!! lol Grease monkey's make good money as soon as you start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom