Video Card Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

epoch

Beta member
I am currently running a ATI Radeon 9700 Pro (have the newest drivers from the ATI site and have checked to make sure it is seated properly).

My issue is:
I get sporadic black screens and the my monitor says no signal. The computer is still running and every so often VPU recovery kicks in and I am able to exit and save before I loose visual of the desktop.

I have gotten an error saying my card stopped responding to VPU commands and I am at a loss as waht to do. Other than replace the card.

Any input would be appreciated. And if I do have to replace my vid card what would you recommend for $200 max?

Yea sorry forgot to put AGP on there.

I have had my 9700 pro for sometime. My best friend bought it right when it came out and sold it to me the second 9800s hit the market. So returning unfortunately is out of the question.

On the same note it has been running fine on this system for probably a year. So I assuming it is dead.

Thanks for the input.

Another question for you. Is there any big difference in the sapphire and ati chipsets? I have been using ati but wondered if there was any big difference in the two.

Virtually all cards have chipsets made by nVidia or ATI; the different companies (Biostar, Sapphire, etc) just make the cards that integrate the chipset. If you scroll down on the page for the item I sent (the AGP card), you'll see that where it says "chipset," it's listed as ATI.

When you look for a videocard, first figure out what chipset you want, then look for a good quality mfg of cards. Sapphire is crap on lower end cards, but their higher end cards (over $100) are consistently better quality for the money. I think they only use ATI chipsets.

Dan

it seems hwinfo32 is misreading the sensor , i doubt the +12v is truly that low , use the mobo manufacturer software and take another screenshot (youll find it on the mobo cd, or on the mobo manufacturer site) , and btw if youll do alt+printscreen it will capture only the current window ;)

I will try to get to that tonight when I get off work or tomorrow when I get back from a work meeting out of town. Thanks for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom