HP Laptop Boot Takes Minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockeyman2

Baseband Member
I am trying to repair a laptop. Used to run slow all the time but I fixed that ( deleted some viruses). I cannot figure out why it takes 5 minutes to boot up. After turning on the Laptop the post screen comes up. Then the Windows logo screen for a long time, after that an HP screen, the Windows welcome screen, and then finally the desktop.
I ran bootvis on it and see that nothing even starts up until 200 seconds into the boot. The disk is being read alot however. Also, disk usage is up to 100% most of the time. What could cause this?

System is an AMD 3200+ with 512MB running Windows XP SP2

Thank you!

-Nathan

get a freeware program called hijackthis and run it... do not delete anything... just run a scan and save the file... Post it on the Hijackthis logs - analyze (under Virus - Spyware forum) they will probably find a few things that might help...

Also run a few freeware spyware programs as well... Spybot and Adaware are good ones... run those and see what it gets rid of.

And as Yolkz said... DEFRAG... 'nuff said... :)

And if all that doesn't work you can always give it to me... :p

Ok click start, RUN.. type in msconfig now ok.. then start up programs.. uncheck them all.. now apply.. and then click services and check to hide all microsoft applications.. and then uncheck all of those and apply... then i using disk cleanup.. and then defragment.. the laptop will now run like a new one!

im sure it was just abunch of start up programs making the thing run slow...most programs you install go in to your registry by default lol and are booted everytime u restart..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom