Prefetch And Indexing Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

xtpacygax

Banned
Hi, I just wanted to know some things on the prefetch folder and indexing service on windows. I have looked around, but havn't really found exactly what I wanted to know, mostly I just found how to change things with them.

For both I would like to mainly know what they do for you normally. Also, I would like to know what does disabling or deleting them do for you. Does it speed up your system, or just give you more space, etc.?

Thanks in advance.

Can someone please explain to me at least what deleting your prefetch does for your system, and what leaving it how it is does for your system.

What is prefetch?
Prefetch is a folder that contains "start up data." It allows you to open programs faster.

So deleting it makes the computer slower?
No. Think of it as a small notebook to keep notes in, compared to 2 or 3 binders to find. Which is faster? The notebook. But what happens when the notebook is full and/or filled with things you only used a few times?

So don't delete them?
No, you should clear the prefetch every 2-3 months. This way the computer is not overloaded with junk prefetch files, or outdated ones.

-blitze

I agree I usually clean up my prefetch when I clean out all my temp files. It takes it only a few reboots to rebuild itself with the current list of used apps :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom