GUIDE: How to buy/what to look for when buying a computer or new part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Updated Section Six

I still need a sound card section... iff someone would like to do that, feel free too

That's a very handy little guide you've written there. I'm sure many people will learn a lot from it, including myself.

Thank you for putting in the time and effort Static, great stuff!

PS: Just thought you'd like to know, my website provides similar information as your guide. And the funny thing is, my video card section needs updating too :)

hi. just a newbie here..

this thread rocks.. :)

by the mean time, ill just browse thread more so as to know how to build my new rig. it will be my first time. :)

Static_11 said:
you have any questions feel free to ask... my contact info is in my profile.

thanks... ill PM you as soon as i finish choosing the parts.. :D i hope i wont bother you if i do so. :)

i was a little bored so i got this, most of the stuff i just copy-n'-paste, you can add whatever you want, it is just a start

Sound cards are usually not a necessity for a regular home computer, and are usually used to get a more three-dimensional sound. Good cards also boost PC performance because they feature small processors of their own. Consumer sound cards range from $5 to $250. If you use your PC for games look at the sound cards in the $50 - $150 range. One of the more popular sound cards out there is the Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic Sound Card for $110 and a popular cheap one is the CHAINTECH AV-710 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card got 23.00. The price difference is just mostly just because the X-Fi includes a ton of stuff it can do:
X-Fi 24-bit Crystalizer™ X-Fi CMSS®-3D The Fastest Gaming Performance Ever EAX® ADVANCED HD™ 5.0 support The Latest Cinematic Technologies for the Ultimate PC Movie Experience! High-Quality, Feature-Rich Recording Dedicated Modes for Music & Movies, Gaming and Audio Creation

Another thing to keep in mind is that your sound card can only sound as good as your speakers. Many multimedia kits come with a cheap set of speakers. Usually these get the job done, but don't sound too good. If you're into multimedia, get good speakers. The best offer the subwoofer system. These produce rich bass and a more symphonic sound. They are capable of surround sound. This is the best choice. Don't hook your home stereo speakers to your computer directly. The sound will usually be bad because those speakers need more power then a sound card's amplifier can produce. Also, home stereo speakers are not magnetically shielded. Therefore they could warp your monitor's picture as well as damage the data on your hard drive or floppies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom