virtual memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigerlilly

Solid State Member
Hi I was trying to find a way to increase virtual memory. When I defragment, it says capability is 37.21GB, then it says 28.94 GB, 77% free space. Does not need defrag comes up. I am thinking that virtual memory must not be the same. Is there a way to clear space on your hard drive? Or only installing more memory will do? Will dropping restore points on XP help? Just trying to find a way around having someone come to my house to install something because it is very expensive. Help, underpaid virgin techie,lol! :D

Your PC will not improve speed from increasing virtual memory, all it will do is have more space to write to automatically with out asking your permission. If you ever fill up the ram and paged area than it will ask you if you wish to increase it, but if you ever find you are out of memory on your RAM, your PC will crawl. But here it is anyway:

Go to the control panel/system/advanced tab/settings in performance area/ advanced on that tab.

Hi, It is not the speed, I get a box that comes up saying low on virtual memory,increasing paging file,some programs may not be available now. I set the control to system managed size. It says space available 30009MB. So why is it saying virtual mem low, It says minimum allowed 2 MB, Recommended 381MB, currently allocated 381 MB. When I custom set it to higher , I still got the message virtual memory low, increasing paging file,blah, blah, blah. My computer is not slow at all for dial-up. thanks, Tigerlilly:D

I have Windows XP home edition,version 2002, service pack two, Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.40 GHz, 2.39 Ghz 256 MB of ram. :) Tigerlilly

Get your self another stick of 256... Any XP version recommends 512MB to run smooth... It won't solve the problem, but I do know it will speed up your system and you WILL notice a difference. :)

Sounds like you have a great computer, thanks for the advice I will do that. I installed a ram optimizer and that seems to have corrected the problem for now. Thankyou, Tigerlilly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom