Loud Power Supply Fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

youngid

Beta member
I have the ANTEC Sonata II case, that comes with a 450W Smartpower power supply. Although it's supposed to be very quiet, it's much louder than my old computer, to the point where I'm pretty sure something is wrong. The exhaust fan on the back(there are two ps fans) almost never runs, so I think something is wrong with the front fan. It's a hassle to send back, since I bought it off the internet and would have to ship it, is there anything I can do to figure out exactly what's wrong/fix it on my own?? Is there any way to control power supply fan speeds?? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Are you sure it is the PSU? If so return it. You may be able to claim back the cost of shipping (if you can be bothered, and in the UK atleast.)

I used this case in a build and it was very silent.

I've heard one of the fans only turns on when the PSU gets so hot (and also heard that there are a lot of defects with this function where the fan NEVER turns on).

And that PSU's supposed to be really quiet. So there's probably something wrong. How long have you had it?

If your up to it change the fan's yourself to quite ones, probably the temp sensor inside the psu is bad, or the spead sensor wire on that fan itself is defective. You can run the wires out and power them off a fan controller if you like. Make sure to leave it unplugged for about a 1/2 hour before you pull it apart. There really isn't much to them

FlashDude said:
If your up to it change the fan's yourself to quite ones, probably the temp sensor inside the psu is bad, or the spead sensor wire on that fan itself is defective. You can run the wires out and power them off a fan controller if you like. Make sure to leave it unplugged for about a 1/2 hour before you pull it apart. There really isn't much to them

half an hour is not going to be long enough. If you do open the PSU, it voids the warranty.

What to do:

Take PSU out, get a paper clip and look at the green wire, short this out with any black one, it will momentarily turn on. Go ahead to open it . If you want a exciting time be sure to touch the capacitor and either enjoy a huge electric shock or cleaning up acid from everywhere.

Trifid said:
half an hour is not going to be long enough. If you do open the PSU, it voids the warranty.

What to do:

Take PSU out, get a paper clip and look at the green wire, short this out with any black one, it will momentarily turn on. Go ahead to open it . If you want a exciting time be sure to touch the capacitor and either enjoy a huge electric shock or cleaning up acid from everywhere.

Awesome tip I never thought of that, There I learned something today I can go to bed. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom