help , please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maz

Beta member
My pc had been resetting itself for sometime but it didn't always do it. then one night it started turning itself off and came up with a false error message as you couldn't press the X and it said

''windows is shutting down any unsaved data may be deleted''

now that may not sound fake but the normal message we get says the same but also has an end now box to close immediately and a cancel box.

And so now we bought a new hardrive as my bro thought it may have been my hardrive that had a virus on it ,my bro also added something similar to this -->> 'A pc can only stand so many volts going through it and if u go on something to strong for it then it will reset preventing it from exploding'.

Anyway i got a new hardrive and the computer doesn't recognise
it being there it only recognise's the old one so we tried installing the new windows xp home edition cd, it was placed in the drive but it comes up with this below :

Diskette Drive A : 1.44M, 3.5 in. Serial port(s) : 3F8
Diskette Drive B : None Parallel Port(s) :378
Pri. Slave Master Disk : None DRAM Type :DDR SDRAM
Pri. Slave Disk : None SPD On Module(s) :yes
Sec. Master Disk : CD-ROM, UDMA 2
Sec. Slave Disk : None

PCI device listing.....
Bus No. DEvice No. Func No. Vendor ID Device Class IRQ

0 11 0 11AB 1FA6 Network controller 10
0 13 0 14F1 10B6Simple COMM.contoller11
0 16 0 1106 3038Serial bus controller 3
0 16 1 1106 3038 Serial bus controller 3
0 16 2 1106 3038Serial bus controller 3
0 16 3 1106 3104 Serial buz controller 3
0 17 1 1106 0571 IDE Controller 14/15
0 17 5 1106 3059 Multimedia device 5
1 0 0 10DE 0322 Display controller 11

DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

From what you're saying, I assume that you're scrapping any existing files or programs, and that you have two hard drives.

What you need to do is set one of them as a slave, and one as a master. This is set using a small jumper at the same end of the drive that the power goes into. There is most likely a diagram on the board that shows how the master and slave configuration should look. If not, look for something like this above a group of 6 (2x3) pins:

M S C
A L S
. . .
. . .

"MA" stands for master, "SL" for slave. "CS" stands for Cable Select, but don't worry about that. If your drive has this configuration, a jumper on the two pins directly below "MA" will designate that drive as a master; a jumper below "SL" will designate it as a slave.

As long as the smaller one is at least 10GB, make that the master by putting a jumper in the appropriate position. Make the second a slave by placing a jumper in the appropriate position.

Then, be sure that the BIOS is set to boot from the CD. When you've done all that, put the WinXP Home CD in the drive and start it up. Windows Setup will allow you to partition and format the new drive.

Dan

you hould only have one hdd hooked up anyway. Because if the other one is virues etc you could end up with two ruined hdd...

" you hould only have one hdd hooked up anyway. Because if the other one is virues etc you could end up with two ruined hdd..."

As long as you format both, you won't need to worry about it.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom