System properties help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

redbaron

Beta member
Whenever I go into the 'system properties' of my computer, it doesn't always display the right processor speed and memory. My actual processor is 1.8 ghz and I have 512 mb of ram. This has messed me up before, when I go to install a game and it says I don't have a fast enough processor (the sys prop. shows something like 600 mhz), but when later it's showing the correct 1.8 ghz the game installs.:confused:

The real problem I'm having is with the ram. I'm trying to play Oblivion, which requires 512 mb, but both the system properties and dxdiag only show 448 mb. I've seen the ram size move from around 300 to 488. Sometimes it even goes up to the real 512 - but it's rare. I know it's a wierd question, and I don't understand it myself, but how can I get my system to recognize my actual amount of ram? It's an hp laptop, and hp obviously has something on here that is causing this and I need to stop it.

Here's a screenshot showing the comparison to PcWizard.

Any help would be great!!

laptops have a function simialar to AMD64's Cool & Quit function to dynamically set CPU core speed to conserve battery life, or keep the Laptop cooler... this fuction can usually be manually controlled either threw BIOS or in WIndow/control panel/power managment.

the Ram is being used by the onboard Graphics display adapter... it should never show the full 512 in system properties, because the Onboard ATI IGP takes either 64/128mb's... or you can probably select how much you wont it to use threw BIOS.

Doesnt matter though, i doubt you will beable to play Obilivion on that at all... people with over 1GB ram on Desktop PC's with higher/Newer CPU's report trouble with that game... I wouldnt waist my time if i were you trying to install it on that laptop.... Even if you do get it to run, it will look like crap with those system specs.

Thanks, I'll check it out. I could have sworn I've seen it at 512 at least once though. One little question. I only have 64 mb of video memory. If I go in and dedicate the full 512 to ram, then will my video card stop working?

And about Oblivion.... www.oldblivion.com :)

i dont have a hole lot of experience with onboard vid... but the most that the BIOS allows you to allocate to the vid i beleive would be either 128mb's or 64mb's.... perhaps 256, but like i said you'l just have to check and see... in any case it wont allow you to allocate all your ram to vid.

in anycase since theres only 512 ram in that comp, you only wont to allocate 64 or 128mbs to Vid anyway... test and see witch works better... dont select anything above 128, it will just slow the system down, and onboard vid is so much slower anyway it might not take advantage of 128mb's, you might get better performance at 64mb's.

well... if that oldblivion works for you, its just going to make it super crappy looking for it to run on crappy GFX cards, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom