Repair?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adam111316

Baseband Member
my brother messed up the computer a while ago.

i fixed most of the problems but one of them seems impossible to solve.

i have windows xp home sp2 on my computer and i have the windows xp home sp1 installation disk.

Is there a repair feature on the windows xp disk. if there is will it keep all my files and not remove them. Also would i need to download and install all the updates and sp2 again?

You can do a repair install. Put in the XP Disc. Let it load. From there click on install XP. (Hit Enter) Agree to the EULA (F8). Then it will detect a previous install of XP and give you the option to repair.

Yes you will have to download all of the updates again including SP2. You can use nlite to slipstream sp2 into your XP install to save you some time.

well im still a bit nervous about a repair.

will i notice any change in the system(besides what it is fixing) as in missing passwords and registry problems.

Will all my settings be still on the computer?

What are the chances of something going wrong and what will i most likely lose?

Also im not sure it is worth the risk. My problem is only small. It is only that the notification area "doesnt exist". Meaning there is no icons in the system tray and there is no balloon notificaitions.

Also i have dialup and im not sure i want to go through all the update downloading.

Well its up to you. The Repair only fixes windows. It doesnt remove any of you apps or anything like that. Yes you will have to update so that is the choice you have to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom