Can This Be Overclocked??

Status
Not open for further replies.

salvationsal

Solid State Member
A Sempron 2500+ @ 1.4 GHz on Asrock's K8-VM800 Motherboard, with DDR 400 MHz Ram at 800MHz FSB. I am unable to set the core voltage though the bios, so maybe its locked. When i set it to manual only 200MHz x 7 option lies there. What shall be done in order to get the best out of this config?
regards
Sal

1 - some motherboard are very limited in overclocking options.

2 - there doesnt seem to be any point to overclock that. you not going to gain much of anything by overclocking a semperon.

note - your overclock ability isnt just limited by your CPU and motherboard, but your Ram as well.

can you change the (200?) or the (x7 ?) if so then you can overclock your ( 200)fsb, or your (x7) mulitplyer.

If you can change the mulitplyer, that will OC your CPU only and your ram wont be a factor... if you can overlcock the FSB then the ram or the CPU could hit the wall once its maxed out.

If you can change any of those settings, only move the FSB up by 5mhz at a time, and the mulitply only by x1 at a time. once you hit the wall your Comp may fail to boot or freez up... in witch case you need to Manually reset CMOS and then set your OC to one setting lower then when it froze up. and then run tests.... such as Memtest86 , and Prime95 <-- those are both free ware.

Darn! Im unable to change the multiplyer or the fsb, badluck i guess..
Anyways, thanks for helping though!!

dont know about asrock... but it might be like one of those Auto-overclock features witch you either 'enable' or 'disable'.

if not though, sometimes more fetures can be enabled in bios after a BIOS update. if its not an auto-overclock feature, then try flashing your bios to the newest version.

the manual for the motherboard you linked to shows Manual Overclock features in the Advanced/CPU config tab's.

you shur thats your motherboard?

Thnx for your reply Jolance, oh come on, aint a novice here, i know enough from northbrodge to southbridge so no doubt on motherboard. There are things that i've learned over the past few days. I used to overclock my P3 @ 933 using the multiplyer i.e. x7 to x7.8 and further x8. But these days we can overclock the FSB with the help of ram. So upon researching, i found the maximum fasb that the board can support is 200, and when trying to set the multiplyer by selecting manual, im unable to access the options as it must been locked by the manufacturer.
The problem is im unable to pump out anything out of this computer, with a frame rate of 5 its always difficult to run half life 2.
I installed 1. PC 3200 @ 400MHz 256 and 2. PC 2700 @ 333 MHz 256 Rams. I changed this by using a 512 MB PC 3200 RAM, the latency were like 4.7-6-6-7 but it didnt gave much and i still was unable to do anything with the fsb.

So the bottom line is if im unable to change the fsb and multiplyer from bios, does that mean i wont be able to overclock? I tried using RMClock but it wasnt helpful. Finally, in order to pump out halflife at good frame rate do i had had to go for a nvidia geforce? Or a sharp overclocking can help this S3G go high?

your problem is not because you cant overclock... its because your tring to run HL2 with Onboard Graphics?... of course that will not work.

Onboard graphics is horrible.... the 2500+ semperon would probably run HL2 fine modestly(medium settings), IF you have a decent graphics card.

Yea if you're trying to run a game like Half Life 2 that needed a X800 when it came out to be able to run everything maxed out youll need more then on board video hahahaha. Even my 9800prom at the time coudlnt run it passed medium. And I had a 2800+ then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom