Opteron or X2

Status
Not open for further replies.

RIPDimebag

Beta member
Hey Guys,

Just wanted some feedback on my new rig before i buy it. I hear the Opteron is good for oc'ing, although i've never done it before. I'm debating over that or the X2 3800. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

Thermaltake Tsunami VA3000SWA Silver All aluminum made Modern Dream Tower Chassis Computer Case - Retail

DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

eVGA 256-P2-N515-AX Geforce 7800GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

Antec TRUEPOWERII TPII-430 ATX12V 430W Power Supply - Retail

Patriot 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered System Memory Model PEP1G3200LL - Retail

AMD Opteron 165 Denmark 1GHz HT Socket 939 Dual Core Processor Model OSA165CDBOX - Retail

Overclocking really isn't all that difficult. Hence why I am going to suggest you get the Opteron 165. If I were going to get an X2, it would be either the 3800 or 4400.
You can always overclock the x2 3800... it comes down to whether you want to overclock and what size cache you want.

Also, if you run into problems overclocking, you can always go to the forums and ask for help.

Yep, Opteron.

Also, don't buy the 7800GT. Buy the 7900GT it's just about the same price with-in a few dollars. The 7900GT performs the same as the 7800GTX.

i agree with havoc on the 7800. if you are a new overclocker i would actually suggest the 3800+ because if you can't get the hang of overclocking you haven'[t paid for something that will perform less. i mean some people just don't get the hang of overclocking for some reason and if that is the case then you don't have to settle for lower performance. in any case the 3800+ still overclocks well. mine hits 2.6ghz and should be able to go a reasonable amount further.

nitestick said:
i agree with havoc on the 7800. if you are a new overclocker i would actually suggest the 3800+ because if you can't get the hang of overclocking you haven'[t paid for something that will perform less. i mean some people just don't get the hang of overclocking for some reason and if that is the case then you don't have to settle for lower performance. in any case the 3800+ still overclocks well. mine hits 2.6ghz and should be able to go a reasonable amount further.

Yeah, but it takes nothing to get the Opteron 165 to 2.0GHz, like what the X2 3800 is set at.
You just gotta get the HTT to 222 and you're there.
Plus, he's getting a DFI board!!!

Since I never overclocked a CPU I'm getting a 3800+ and try to overclock that till I get some experience. I get paranoid that something won't work and I don't want to be stuck at 1.8ghz. The extra cache helps but don't expect a bunch of an improvement. I just want to hit 2.4GHz and I'm happy.

I agree with everybody else, you should get a 7900GT.

Question : What is then the difference between the Opteron 180 and the X2 64 4800+, by specs they look pretty similar and I have also been seeing the Opteron 250, 270, 280, I was just wondering if there are better Opterons out there and if so why is everyone suggesting the 165.

opteron 165 is dirt cheap and can generally overclock about as far as the higher models anyway. don't even bother with the 2XX series they are s940 and are made for true server pc's. the opteron 180 and 4800+ are virtually identical performance wise the difference is in its overclockability and resilience. the opteron 180 would be made with higher quality silicon, run at a lower voltage, have more tolerance to heat and abuse and to top it all off is probably made to run at at least 2.6ghz anyway. the opterons are "binned" to higher speeds than they are sold at.

nitestick said:
opteron 165 is dirt cheap and can generally overclock about as far as the higher models anyway. don't even bother with the 2XX series they are s940 and are made for true server pc's. the opteron 180 and 4800+ are virtually identical performance wise the difference is in its overclockability and resilience. the opteron 180 would be made with higher quality silicon, run at a lower voltage, have more tolerance to heat and abuse and to top it all off is probably made to run at at least 2.6ghz anyway. the opterons are "binned" to higher speeds than they are sold at.

so if you have the choice between the opteron 180 or the x2 4800+ which would you go for, also which one can OC more?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom