Mobo/cpu reinstall

Status
Not open for further replies.

cliffhucker

In Runtime
I am getting a replacement motherboard from ASUS this week (A8N-E) and thus have to uninstall and reinstall my 3800+ X2.

I am bummed because it has had really good temps ~26-49 C.

I want to maintain this and am worried I won't , mainly becasue of the stock grease that came on my Athlon heatsink seemed so perfectly installed and has been performing well.

I have been instructed to use a rice grain sized dab of Arctic Silver 5 placed on the center of the CPU
and to let the heatsink pressure spread the grease on it own. I am hesitant cuz this seemingly would not spread out to all corners evenly thus not attaining maximum surface area coverage.

Second ?--- do I need to install this driver:
AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor Driver for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 Version (exe) 1.2.2
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_13118,00.html

does it replace another already insatlled Microsoft driver?
If a specific AMD driver is req'd, shouldn't a disc come with the cpu in box?

Thanks

no the driver is not needed and thats why it didnt come with the processor. the drivers are foor cool n' quiet and power management. you could use this as a good chance to replace the stock HSF without any trouble. if not just use some isopropyl alcohol or methylated spirits to carefully clean both the HSF surface and the cpu's heat spreader. see the instructions on arctic silvers website. if you see the section where it explains how to spread AS5 on the HSF's surface pay particular attention to that. others don't think it makes a difference but i swear it does in all the times i've applied AS5 (tested it both ways several times just to check). to get the HSF off i suggest a good 10-30 minute run of prime95 with your pc on its side and the retaining clips off, turn the pc off and give the HSF a quick twist in the bracket and you should be able to pull it off easily. many people pull their stock HSF off with the cpu attached :amazed: that won't happen if you do it this way. just to be sure though make sure you pull straight up when removing the HSF, that way if it does come out you minimise any possible damage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom