Widescreen Monitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

odysseus

In Runtime
I'm kind of confused about all these widescreen monitors such as the Dell 20" widescreen (don't remember the model #) and the ViewSonic VX2025WM, would basically all games be able to support the monitors ratio of 16:10? Or would i have two black stripes on either side of the monitor?

Because I will be going to college soon and I'd like to have my monitor double as a TV (since i will be buying a graphics card w/ a tv tuner), cause I will have to assume my quarters will be cramped......

What'd u guys think?

EDIT: Its the Dell UltraSharp 2007WFP

The games are stretched if used in a 4:3 aspect ratio, but most of the newer games support 16:9 or 16:10.

MrCoffee said:
Bah, personally I prefer 2 standard screens but widescreen is ok.

Doesn't the bar in the center of the game bother you? That's the only thing keeping me from getting a second monitor. I'm debating the Dell widescreen also. But two screens for AutoCAD and my work would definately be better. Decisions, decisions...

I have the older version of the Dell 20" wide-screen and it has been great.

Like was said, most newer games are now supporting wide-screen resolutions, however, some still do not. If the game does not support wide-screen resolutions, you have a couple options. Note, these options are set with the monitor, not the game settings.

1. You can keep the original aspect ration (4:3) and black bars on the side.

2. You can have the monitor stretch the image to fill the whole screen.

I personally go with option 1 as option 2 causes some distortion, although nothing too bad really.

I think you will enjoy it if you get it. Definitely a nice monitor.

thanks man, but do u need it to run at a resolution of 1900 or better for it really to be worth it?

ok sorry two more q's, its says its not compatible w/ Mac, but how couldn't it? even through VGA? or why not DVI? Seccond do u have to watch movies with the 2 black bars on the side?

thanks

no, most movies nowadays come in 16:9 Ratio, i believe its called 'widescreen', lol they've had em liek that for a few years now. Secondly, how botu u dont buy a Mac and build ur own system? u save A LOT, its fun, and you get better performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom