Computer will Not install windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaydethan

Solid State Member
I am getting a error when I try to install Windows XP.. When I bootup with the XP CD it will go right to the point where it is loading the files needed to install.. But after it finishs that it will either Freaze or it will give me a blue screen error... I have tested the CD with another computer and it works fine.. I have check to see if there was a RAM issue so I changed out the RAM.. Same results.. Could this be a Bios Issue and if so what should be my next step in troubleshootsing this issue... Could it be the ROM it self..

Any sugestions please

Does it do it at the same point exactly? Try making a copy of the CD and install it off of that or swap out the CDROM to rule that out. Is this freezing after the hard drive format or at the beginning when you first starts copying files?

It happens at the same point.. Right after the setup has finished copying the files and it save Starting Windows Setup.. It hangs there or it gives the blue screen error.. I am going to swap out the CD rom to check it but I know it is not the CD.. I already used it to install Windows on my own system just before... Could it be the Bios??

Thanks

Unfortunately those kind of problems can be other hardware such as RAM or the motherboard itself. Its kind of a trial and error process. Since you just said it happens after the files are copied Im thinking its not the drive. I would try the RAM. If you can borrow some that would be the way to go or if you have more than one stick try one at a time to narrow it down.

Are you installing to a EIDE HDD or a SATA HDD? <- it makes a difference.

And are you shur the jumper settings on the HDD is set correctly? if your using EIDE?

it might not be the ram, but you can test the ram by going to memtest.org

extract the "pre-compiled package for floppy" to a floppy disk and boot from that floppy and the test will auto run. If it finds errors post back for more info.

Maybe the computer is trying to say something... "Li.. Li.... Linux.....", sorry about that, couldn't help myself.

I reckon it's either a RAM or HDD fault.

The easiest thing would be another stick of RAM or a different RAM slot. Maybe even dust out your PC a bit (if its dusty)

If that don't work, try going to http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/ and downloading the seatools program, (if you have another PC) and put that onto a disk and see if there's anything wrong with the HDD.

Hope that helps!

you guys are rediculouse... he said it gets past the format/copying files... but then freezes once it restarts and try to finalize settings... witch means it probably cant find a HDD as a Boot device... witch means it origianlly accessed the HDD fine, but cant Boot from it... witch means it might be a simple setting problem like i said, or perhaps hes using SATA without the proper per-installed SATA Controller drivers.

EDIT: scratch my above comment... i c he might be refering to the initall XP setup copying files to prepare for setup itself... in that case, it still migh be what i mentioned about SATA or the EIDE Jumper. might also wont to check that you dont have any loose cables in there not connected all the way.

you can go to memtest.org , extract the "pre-compiled package for floppy" to a floppy and boot from that, and it will test you ram. if it reports errors post back for more info.

Alright the Drive Is a IDE Maxtor 40HD and I have already tried to install with different RAM from my own System.. I know it is not RAM.. I did notice on thing when I formated the Drive is that at the start is gives me the message Trying to allocate at the begining of the Format Could this be a bad boot sector and could that be the cause of the failur... I will test with a different Drive to test but from what you are telling me you do not think it is a Bios problem.. is there a test I could do for this???

jaydethan - be more specific at were the XP installation disk is failing. is it freezing up right at the start after it finishes trying to load the XP files to prepair for installation? or after the Installation already copys all the necessary files to HDD and prepaires to Restart?

If its freezing right at the start, i would run memtest anyway... because its not using the HDD at that point and it realy shouldnt affect it. Ram errors can accure for more reasons then one, example - if the Dimm slot is faulty, the ram will report errors no matter wat ram stick is in the Dimm slot.

you may also wont to make shur everything is connected tightly inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom