can I overclock?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice9

In Runtime
OK so I'm building a computer, but I don't know if i should get the amd ahtlon 2500+ and overclock to 3200+ speeds or just get the 3200+ amd athlon? Obviously getting the 2500+ and OCing will save me quite a bit of money. One problem I heard of s the processor being locked. Is the amd athlon xp 2500+ able to be OCed?

So is this safe? The mother board I will be getting is Asus a7n8x-E Deluxe.

Also I am most likely getting the radeon 9800 pro 128mb card. I am planning on buying doom 3 most likely when it comes out. Should I get that card and maybe overclock it when the game comes out or get a 9800 pro 256mb? I'm not sure if I'll need that for the game, but It looks like I might.

back to the processor... the case I think I am getting is the thermaltake XASER III super tower: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-133-104&depa=0
its cooling systme is: 80mm Fan Front x2 Rear x2 Side x2 Top x1

will this keep the PC cool enough?

So here is what all the specs will be and if I over clock the processor I want the temp to not get too hot and I want the PC to not be too loud:
Amd athlon 2500+ OC to 3200+
Asus a7n8x-E Deluxe
x2 Corsair XMS ddr 400 pc3200 512mb for DC
Seagate 120gb SATA 7200rpm
Sound blaster audigy 2
Radeon 9800 pro
cd rom rw drive
dvd drive
Thermaltake XASER III super tower
I'm not sure on power supply. What do you think? 480w? And what one?

thanks

here we go another OCer... Just get the 64 bit 3200. If u really want to OC it then go ahead and take the risk and waste ur money. I have the same case as what ur getting.. Also 2500 to a 3200???? that would be a record to do that... If u want to OC it, u need a water cooling system.

Um monster...im kinda of sry to say but wut u said was noobish. Ok where to start. The operating freq on a 2500+ is 1.83 ghz and on a 3200+ its 2.2ghz. There would be no record set there. I've seen ppl go as high as 2.7 ghz which was with water cooling. To reach the 2.2 ghz...I reckon you should go over 1.75v core voltage. 200x11=2200. Could be done with stock cooling :eek: . Save the money man and go with the 2500+ "barton" 333fsb model. Those r my 2 cents.

EDIT: u wont need 256mb 9800 pro, 128mb 9800 pro will serve u AWESOME.!

k guys come on lol stop fighting. i know im not a noob in computers so he calling me a noob means nothing to me.

Deadguy said:
Cell567 you calling someone a noob is about the funniest thing ive seen on this forum.

http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=80350#post80350

Ice9 after you toast your system cause you got very little exp with computer's.Take Monester advise and just build a system and learn a thing or 2.Then OC your next one.

alright... i was thinking OCing wouldn't be too hard, but I guess it is. But even after building this one I won't have any experience OCing and then when I build another one I still wouldn't hace the experience.

anyways I guess I'll just go with the amd athlon xp 3200+ just thought I could save some money :confused:

Also about the case... that thermal take is 150 dollars plus a power supply ($60) .. total: $210
If I got this case: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-144-026&depa=0
upgraded to a thermaltake 480w power supply: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-153-007&depa=0
that'll be about $110, but the case only has 2 80mm fans., but it has space for 6. Should I get a few more and which ones?

So what do you think?

I doubt there is enough of a noticeable difference ( when not ocing) from a 2500+ to a 3200+.

yea i would defently put more fans in it. If you dont wanan fill up all of the spaces, atleast put 2 or 3 more fans in it.

actually there would be a clean noticable difference, as the 2500 is 1.83 with a fsb of 333, and the 3200 is 2.2 with a fsb of 400, i think benchmarks would notice for sure, dunno bout the user, never used a 333 system lol, i just jumped from rags to riches...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom