Upgrading from 128 MB...improvement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joepic

Solid State Member
My PC has a 1.7 GHz P4, and only 128 MB of RAM w/ windows XP. If I add 512 Mb, how much of an improvement will i see? This computer has a very slow response time, is that because of the so little RAM? If i add 512, would programs start up faster, and would i be able to navigate around them without much lag? Please be specific as to what improvements I will notice.

thanks

I don't even know how you got XP to work on your system! XP's minimum system req. are 256MB RAM! You will see an absolutely astronomical improvement in performance if you add another 512MB! Nowadays 1GB of RAM is considered the sweetspot!

Actually the min. requirement for xp is 64 mb's but it will run ok with 128mb, But you will see a vast improvment with 512mb. Post back after you update it, (this would be after you are over the initial shock!!!, lol)

• Pentium 233-megahertz (MHz) processor or faster (300 MHz is recommended)
• At least 64 megabytes (MB) of RAM (128 MB is recommended)
• At least 1.5 gigabytes (GB) of available space on the hard disk
• CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive
• Keyboard and a Microsoft Mouse or some other compatible pointing device
• Video adapter and monitor with Super VGA (800 x 600)or higher resolution
• Sound card

I don't even know how you got XP to work on your system! XP's minimum system req. are 256MB RAM!
where in heck are you getting this information from? XP's minimum listed requirements are a 233mhz processor and 64mb of ram. i have it running acceptably on a a P-166@200mhz and 64mb of ram.

back on topic you would notice a decent increase. be sure of the ram you select because i believe the P4 1.7ghz came as both a Willamette core and Northwood core. the Northwood would require DDR ram and the Willamette RD-RAM

nitestick said:
where in heck are you getting this information from? XP's minimum listed requirements are a 233mhz processor and 64mb of ram. i have it running acceptably on a a P-166@200mhz and 64mb of ram.

back on topic you would notice a decent increase. be sure of the ram you select because i believe the P4 1.7ghz came as both a Willamette core and Northwood core. the Northwood would require DDR ram and the Willamette RD-RAM

well this is the part where you guys come in to help me. i have a dell dimension 4400. what RAM would it take? give me a link, preferably newegg to a 512 stick thats cheap. i have one bookmarked, but i wasnt sure it would be compatible . it was $43. if you can find me a good 512 stick off newegg that would definitely work under $50 post a link. i dont need any special extra fancy ram, i'm not using the pc for gaming. thanks

ok, thanks so much. so i should really see a huge improvement? would i be able to multitask better even with my processor?

YOU WILL NOT BELIEVE IT,,, That machine will do everything like a brand new machine, I am not joking!!! Can you say Night and Day!! lol

Don't forget to run cpu-z to make sure!!!

oifhj.jpg

heres the memory stuff from cpu-z

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom