AM2 to wait or not to wait

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those benches were tweaked in Intel's favor. I think the Conroe wins but not by the insane landslide depicted in those charts. Intel could not triple their clock efficiency within a single generation. The new processor claims to do 2.8-3.0GHz of AMD @ 2.66GHz of Intel. Ya right... It used to take like 3.8ghz of intel to match an fx-60

nitestick said:
i'm sorry but how can you tell that the Conroe (unreleased) is superior to AM2 (unreleased)? the FX-60 is a Revison E s939 processor not an AM2 socket processor. people seem to keep missing the point of why i started this thread. you can not be sure of future technology until it has been released. please stop talking about things as "truth" when they as of yet are not even available to the public. i am starting to sound like a broken record here but i don't mind you offering your opinions but could you at least throw in some words such as "seems like" so that you don't sound like prejudiced fan boys. it is apparent that conroe may be better than anything AMD has to offer but don't chalk this up as a fact until both technologies are available and it can be verified
Im guessing you haven seen AnAndTech's benchmarks comparing the X2 4800+ to the X2 AM2....

The difference between the two is only around 3%. In some apps, the AM2 does worse, in others it doesn about 1-5% better, and only in one or two programs did it perform 30% better. However in games it only performed 1-3% better.

And when you look at the Conroe 2.66Ghz vs the FX-60 2.8Ghz, you can see how much of a gain the Conroe has. So its obvious that the Conroe is going to be better.

no i have seen almost every conceivable benchmark ther is :). things change quickly my padawan especially in the processor world. i'm not saying that they can iron out the bugs in AM2 and that it will be superior but only to keep in mind that neither of these are finished products and only time will tell. i agree that it certainly looks that Conroe will be better but it is not fact. i think i would be negligent to not try and keep all this hype and propoganada in check by pulling up everyone who perpetuates it. seriously this is the stuff that thousand dollar nightmares are made of. i'm not saying this is the case but remember back to the release of the pentium 4......and how it failed to even outperform the pentium 3. oh so many people raced out and bought a Willamette just because they heard from Intel and along the grapevine that it was the best thing since sliced bread. that happened because of basically the same thing that is happening now, lots of people saying "wow have you seen how brilliant the new pentium 4 is going to be, i'm pre-ordering mine". i don't like to see people getting caught up on the public relations steam engine

But it is not humanly possible to fix the bugs without changing the memory controller that cannot be done in 6 months or without delaying the release date. Right now the Conroe looks superior and it will be if this gut feeling is right. To top it off the Conroe itself looks pretty week when compaired to the Woodcrest and Clovertown.

BennyV04988 said:
Those benches were tweaked in Intel's favor. I think the Conroe wins but not by the insane landslide depicted in those charts. Intel could not triple their clock efficiency within a single generation. The new processor claims to do 2.8-3.0GHz of AMD @ 2.66GHz of Intel. Ya right... It used to take like 3.8ghz of intel to match an fx-60

u really dont know what ur talking about do u? now im not saying that in a mean way but just to let u know. u have to know ur facts first man! :) of course it needed a 3.8GHz cpu before because there were so many more pipelines and at a much longer length! it needed those insane frequencies. the conroe uses the P3 architecture because it has the very short and few pipelines. that is why a 2.6 can kick a 2.8 FX-60's a$$. now of course these are very early but then again, look at the New Conroe Tests thread with average ppl testing it. Intel did not tweak their product as they have absolutely no reason to. If they did, once they come out ppl would see the real results and cancel their purchase! Just doesnt make any sense.

Lets just keep this thread on topic and talk about whether or not to wait. The AM2's are showing more improvements now so it's looking up. Using 1066 ram speed has improved it more but still not anywhere near the amount that conroe has so my suggestion still is to get one now because u can still get a killer PC today!

Just remember to keep one thing in mind when comparing AM2 and Conroe. AM2 is merely a socket and memory controller revision, not a new architecture. Conroe is a new architecture.

the conroe uses the P3 architecture because it has the very short and few pipelines. that is why a 2.6 can kick a 2.8 FX-60's a$$
Not exactly, Conroe does have substantially shorter pipeline stages than the P4 or course, but still slightly longer than AMD.

Conroe = 14 stage pipes
AMD = 12 stage pipes

The reason Conroe as more efficient clocks than AMD has to do with many core enhancements, not just the shorter pipes.

idiotec said:
Just remember to keep one thing in mind when comparing AM2 and Conroe. AM2 is merely a socket and memory controller revision, not a new architecture. Conroe is a new architecture.

yes very good point idio. AMD is only coming out with their completely new product in 2007. So that is another reason not to wait for these IF u can wait that long. So far theyre claiming that those will kill the conroes. But who from amd would say that they are worse eh?

well i don't have any reason to doubt them after they asserted dominance on the performance stakes from being second rate. once again thanks for bringing the logic back guys :). Conroe is indirectly based on the P3 core. its more closely related to the dothan core which is based on the P3 core. i wonder if Intel will actually call this the P5, keep the P4 brand for marketing purposes like the ******* they are or introduce a new name. the prescott core should have been named the P5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom