OKAY, i need your input on the final decision

Status
Not open for further replies.
sorry but i don't see how that red gskill is better than the valueseries ram.. the value ram has tighter timings... 2-3-2-5 and is quite a bit more expensive (before mail in rebate)

BUT.. since you have an opteron, and you will most likely want to overclock.. (you don't have to.. but to keep that option open..) you should get ram that is clocked higher, like the ddr500 black gskill. that way you'll have no nonsense overclocking.. guaranteed to go 2.25ghz w/o using a mem divider.. probably more (given your cpu will handle that..)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231021

the harwdare aspect of a pc could be built in 30 minutes to an hour if there are no unexpected problems.....but that would be rushing it a bit i think. to fully set up the pc including software would take 2-4 hours probably a while longer seeing as this is your first build. just be sure to read some guides first, learn about ESD (ElectroStatic Discharge) so that you don't damage anything. its unlikely ESD will be a problem but you would be a fool to dive in without being sure. any problems and we'll be here

what exactly is involved in overclocking? I understand the end result, but i have no idea how i would go about doing it. First and foremost, this is my college computer and it needs to last me 4 years. I would have to be sure that i know how to do it properly and that the processor will still last and be dependable... If it does seem like a good option for me, then an extra 20 bucks for the ddr500 wouldnt be a problem... im just starting to worry that by the time you guys are done with me i'll be writing history papers and editing amateur videos on a 10k gaming rig :p

basically with a processor the clock frequency is determined by the FSB (or as AMD calls it HTT) multiplied by a factor called the clock multiplier. the multiplier is locked on all processors except engineering samples and the FX series. so the clock frequency can be increased by increasing the FSB/HTT which will also boost the memory speed unless a divider is used. my processor at stock speed is 2.0ghz or 200mhzx10, i've overclocked to 2.6ghz or 260mhzx10. the problem is the processor can become unstable and make errors and the only way to stabilise it when overclocked is to increase the voltage to the processor. increasing the voltage also significantly increases heat output so decent cooling is necessary. as long as your processor is kept cool and you don't run too high a voltage it should last four years

so is this something that i would have to do while setting up the hardware, or would i configure it after my computer was completely set up?

you can overclock whenever you feel up to it. go into the overclocking section of this forum, read the stickied guides and then post any questions you have in there. its simpler if you read a tutorial and we help out with anything you don't get because i can't speak for the others but i certainly don't feel like writing a guide to overclocking here for you :)

its pretty close, but if you OC the opteron itl blow that 3800+ away. tecnically, teh 3800+ has a higher clock speed but the opternon has more cache.

512mb x1800xt, that things putting the 7900gt up for a run, great card from what i've read.. and i was scared to oc my first time as well.. and if you screw up it just won't boot, but all you have to do is move this little pin to reset everything and try again.. and yes, i love the black ddr 500 g.skill ram, its worked me wonders, no need in dividers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom