CRT vs LCD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trotter said:
Acer AL1916W - 19" LCD WideScreen - 8ms - 1440 x 900 - 500:1 - Black reviews from NewEgg - http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustRatingReview.asp?Item=N82E16824009073
$219.95, free shipping
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=202166481&loc=101&sp=1

ViewSonic VX2025WM 20.1" Widescreen TFT LCD - 1680x1050, 800:1, 8ms reviews from NewEgg - http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustRatingReview.asp?Item=N82E16824116381
$389.95, free shipping
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.a...10998&Type=PE&Category=Comp&Gad=0&dcaid=15891

wow that viewsonic has some great reviews..........*sarcasm*

CRT vs. LCD

I LOVE LCDs!

First, there's no ghosting.

Second, there's also a faster response time than the monitor that I have right now, and

Third, It is so much easier to dispose of!

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+
ATX Xion Solaris Case w/ 650 wtt. Power Supply
HP LightScribe 16x Dual-Layer +/- DVD burner
LG 16x DVD-ROM
19" ViewSonic LCD monitor
Creative X-Fi PRO sound card
7.1 channel speakers
MSI Micro-Star Neo2 KX480 motherboard
ATI All-In-One PCI Express Video Card
2048 MB Crucial Ballistic Memory
300 GB SATA150 hard drive (partioned in two)

MAC OS X tiger running on one partition (PearPC)

Windows Media Center Edition 2005 on the other

Ghosting isn't a problem like it once was. Native resolution is the biggest issue. LCDs are designed to display a single resolution, usually 1280x1024. Why they didn't choose 1280x960 puzzles me. Anyways, the picture looks a bit distorted when you aren't at the native resolution, especially if the pixel pitch is larger than .264.

Hey all, thanks for the great info! I've decided to go ahead and buy an LCD. I'm going to up my spending to $300, so if anyone has a good recommendation for one in that price range let me know, again, I usually buy NewEgg but after the best deal. I will be gaming as well.

In regards to the native resolution on LCDs, how bad does it look if you do adjust it below it's native?

My vid card is the 7900GT if that will make a difference, and trying to stay as close to the 19.8" viewable I have on my CRT as possible.

I also noticed my 7900GT doesn't list 1440x900 as a resolution. I'm guessing that's a problem if I go with the Acer?

BioT3ch said:
Why they didn't choose 1280x960 puzzles me.

because they wanted to make things complicated by making them 5:4 instead of 4:3

ps. CRTs are better for these reasons:

1. Contrast ratio is unmatched. blacks are pitch black, whites are as white as white gets. (of course this is if you have the contrast and brightness set right)

2. the color spectrum is unmatched. i look at an LCD and laugh because the whites look redish, the greens are blueish and photos barely deserve the name.

3. price, obviously

4. i'm not going to say ghosting, because anyone with a crt knows that if you scroll a webpage down that has white text on a black background, there is ghosting of some nature there.

5. LCD's crack easily.

if you want a cheap replacement for your 21" trinitron, go here: www.accurateIT.com

i got my 21" trinitron from them for 98 bucks, works great. it was refurbished, and the only scratches it has on it are from me :p it came in great condition, and shipping was cheap.

oh and 1440x900 will be supported once you plug the monitor in.

Thanks General, AccurateIT is where I bought my 21" =) I guess I'll give this some more thought. I actually love my monitor, but it's dying. I also got a grade B monitor and the burn in is very bad. At least in my opinion. Tough decesion :)

yeah mine is grade B, and it came with a bad video cable, other than that it was in perfect condition ... no burn in or anything ... maybe they thought the effects of the bad cable blah blah you get the idea

yeah they're cheap though... i think im gunna get one of those 24" trinitrons that say Sun Microsystems on them. lol that would be nice but i'd have to run Solaris to be legit :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom