New hard drive - urgent help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ay-c

Beta member
Hi people,
I've stumbled into a little trouble recently. I've bought a new 80gig hard drive for my duron 850 and I got it out of the case, set it up all ok. I wanted to put winXP onto it but when starting to install it told me that I didn't have enough disk space. I had a look at the partitians and there was 1 single primary Dos partition set on the D drive to 12meg I think. I deleted it in FDisk (as it wouldn't let me create a new 1) and created a new partition after it had deleted. Told me to restart and as soon as I did, it wouldn't read from the floppy or any other boot device. I am left with a flashing line when switching it on after the boot sequence.

Now, I'm an amateur at this so I probably did something wrong right away... but I really really need some help on getting out of this hole. Much appreciated if anyone can! :)

f**k, the DNS server for this site is totally f**ked up. i just lost the entire message i posted...again.......so i'm a bit mad

anyways let me cut this as short as i can. put your winXP cd into the cd-rom. look for the promt at the bottom of the bootup screen that asks for "press a key to boot from CD........".

that 8MB partition (in your case it was 12MB) is reserved for converting a basic MBR disk into a dynamic disk. it cannot be deleted. this is only an issue with win2k and winXP first edition. you can integrate SP1 into your winxp FE by creating what is called a slipstream CD, this fixes your reserve partition problem.

also you can try to use fdisk to create all your partition and than use the CD to continue setup. also you can slave this disk to another machine to setup partitions.

If you cant get away from the black screen with the flashing line... reset your CMOS. It is a jumper on your motherboard. If you have your motherboard manual it would be handy. There is a jumper and three pins. Set your jumper on the opposite two from the ones it is already on. Keep it there for a few seconds, then put it back. When you start up the BIOS will be set to defaults.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom