Status
Not open for further replies.
cpuz1.jpg

cpuz2.jpg

cpuz3.jpg

cpuz4.jpg

cpuz5.jpg

All 5 tabs.

After further review, It feels like photoshop and media programs load up a bit faster. I'll give it a couple of days for a fair review though, then i'll compare performance with page filing on again

Yep, that tells the story... your board will only run memory at PC2100 speed, so your RAM is being downclocked.

Sorry to be the one to tell ya, bt in order for you to experience PC3200 speed, you'll need to upgrade the processor AND the board.

Sucks, I know... I'm in a similar boat... so I've just decided to buy an entirely new system.

CTRL+ALT+DEL... How many programs does it say you have running (look at the bottom of the window, it will say Processes: ##)

New mobo AND processor? ouch

Not only do I not know how to put all of the components on a mobo, processors burn a hole in my pocket

Could I get away with buying a cheap system with a good processor , and hopefully a supported mobo and slap in my AGP* GFX card and 2 sticks of ram and Everything should be alright

Ignore some of the past posts, those people are just wrong.

NO the ram will not run at pc3200 speed even if you buy a different motherboard.
-------------------

1) dont disable paging files, just set them to "manual" min = 1024, max = 1024 ......some games will not even load up if you disable paging files, that doesnt mean its using them though, the system usess paging files for non-important background tasks, setting min/max to equal sizes will give you the best performance... and the average user will never need more or less then 1024mbs paging files.

2) when it comes to a system such as yours... 2.5 Northwood 533fsb, AGP 4x, mobo 266fsb.... loading times for your games will be affected by every part of your old system, the CPU speed, the FSB and the GFX card's power and AGP slot.

3) you can use your CPU in board that support pc3200 speed, but it will not run at that speed. your CPU will run at 133(ddr266) max, unless you overclock it.

lots of socket 478 boards (maybe even your own, check your BIOS), can run your Ram at a 2:3 ratio meaning.... CPU FSB = 133, Ram = 166 (DDR333 pc2700 speed).

4) If your using 2x1gb this doesnt apply to you.... but if your using 4x512mbs, then some old motherboards will auto downclock your RAM FSB.... your board might support 2:3 ram fsb ratio, But if your using 4 slots, that may be the reason its running it 1:1 133fsb.

5) since you were already running 1GB of ram, and your CPU fsb is 133 (533), then upgrading to 2GB's will not show you any performance improvement.... it will only allow you to open more programs/windows at one time, befor your Comp starts stuttering/lagging.... the speed of your computer depends on the Othercomponents + your FSB, not the amount of Ram to an extent(since you already had 1GB).

EDIT: there may be other performance loss's depending on the motherboard if your using 4x512 instead of 2x1GB... because greater # of ram banks the Memcontroller needs to access, the less stable it becomes... so if your using 4x512, it might actually be running at a lower command rate, or slower Timings then if you were running 2x512 or 2x1Gb. witch means if your using 4x dimms you might very well be getting slower performance then you were with your PC2100 ram. since your board auto clocked your ram at 2100 speed.

EDIT: this is a small reason why i never upgrage my systems, just buy all new parts after a few to several years, and things will just work as there sapost to.

Yeah I think i've hit the wall with my system

I'm gonna ride it out for a couple of years then just buy a new one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom