Need some advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mole2k4

Beta member
Ok, hey guys, this is my first post on the forum.
I'm really intrested in OC'ing my pc + gfx card.
I'm currently runnin a 2800XP+ Amd with a Radeon 9200 and 512 DDR.

I can already OC my radeon with ease, using software but it's unstable, and when in use, the screen kinda melts in a weird way lol :D

Here is my problem.
I want to upgrade my pc, I'm planning a big overhaul.
I'm looking at water cooled cases, and planning to setup a watercooled system, but I want to make my pc dual processor based.
Will I need to switch my motherboard? Wondering whether there was anyway I could run 2 pro's from one slot, using some kind of adapter?
Also, if I get a dual pro PC how could I set up the water cooling system so that it goes from both chips to the radiator, without already warm water going to the 2nd pro?
I know this is sounding really newbish, but I've done some research on water cooled systems, just couldn't find a dual pro based system.

Basically I'm wondering what I'd need to buy to create the machine of my dreams! ;)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

: 2 Pro's (AMD's) because I don't really like P4's.
: Geforce which I'll buy because I find the Radeon is not as good as everyone states.
: 1 gig ram+
: HD's and storage is not a problem, already have 150 gig in space as well as a CDRW+DVDRW.

anyone who could help me out, I'd appreciate it.

ok well this is a lot. to ur question, i dont think i can have both of them going unless if u like have 2 ins and 2 outs like maybe u can split it? im not sure. But to ur 2nd question, u need to get a different mobo yea. Your gonna be looking at around 300 dollars for the mobo for the Intel Xeon processor. But i mean if u check almost all water cooling systems, they dont say Xeon. They only say P4. to ur 3rd question, no u cant run 2 CPU's from 1 slot. Also if u want the 2 processors, u need to have A LOT of memory maybe like 3-4 gigs depending on what ur using it for. So ur looking at over 400 dollars on memory just alone. Well to ur last question, u need to get a intel Xeon processor which is 2 CPU's. Of course its gonna be a lot of money especially if u want a high speed. You would need a water cooling system, probley u need to customize it since they dont sell any for a Xeon. You need a lot of memory, probley a better video card. But its urs so. Also i dont think they sell a dual AMD. I think intel only does. https://www.computerinternetneeds.com/cgi-bin/motor.cgi?cid=UOEI8o&page=details&sku=xeon3066512 there is a 3.0 Xeon. You need to find a motherboard for that so just with the mobo, the CPU and the memory ur looking at up to over 1000 dollars alone.

Mole- are you going to build a server? It's my understanding that servers need two processors, not gaming machines.

Have you considered going 64 bit? You can get an AMD 64 for the price of two xenon processors. Also, the mobos are cheaper than a dual processor mobo.

Finally, why not just upgrade your grafics card? that alone would give you a noticeable difference in games.:)

yea people who are like running a buisness or even for like a really big gaming server, thats what there for not for playing games.

Primarily this is going to be a gaming machine yes, I want to basically make the best machine I can right now, then O/C it.
I thought about the 64 bit, but am not really sure on the advancements I'd be getting, seeing as most things are still 32 bit, and will be for a few years at least.
If anyone could tell me the difference's between 64 bit and the 2800+ please do!

lol, well first, windows xp came out with a 64 bit so thats 1. 2nd is, its a whole new set up. Its bacisally a 32 bit on steriods... Like it has more L2 cache and all that other stuff. and BTW, why are u so into OCing? I really dont get it y people say " o yea im gonna build the most sickest machine ever and then OC it" first off, if you build a 64 bit, thats the strongest they have right now... So u cant OC it. 2nd in order for u to OC it safley, u need to get water cooling. 3rd why would u OC such a fast machine? I mean maybe someone with a 2.0 or somthing yea then they should OC it if you dont want to like spend anymore money, and u have the proper cooling then yea.. Lets take my friend for example. He got a 3.2 intel. Very fast.. he got it from this company. Liek they build custom computers. He had a stock intel fan and a mobo that can Only support up to 3.2. He oced it, fried his CPU and his mobo. He sent it back and sadly enough, they have him another one.. So dont be like him just get a sweet processor and u will be good. I mean i have everything i need to OC it, water cooling and all that stuff but im not OCing it becuase i dont wanna take the chance.. The only thing i would OC is my video card but thats really it.

First off, these guys are right. Invest some time in reading how dual processors are utilized. Unless its a server- you are wasting your money. Period.

Second, of COURSE youll need a new mobo if you had 2 processors.

If you are interested in the best of the best, go buy a new AMD 64 FX-53.

Have you looked into the soft OC capabilities of most GF cards? Cos to my understanding theyre insanely weak.

I see this all too often. Someone wants the best computer EVEEER BUIIIIILT. But half the time theyre spending money on something thats not only slower than most people could make, but has options in all the wrong places.

You DONT need over 1GB of ram (I only use ~800MB when I render 30min videos).

Save the money youd waste on ram and buy a 1500RPM HDD.

they guys are right. Mole2k4 for gaming purposes get the fastest processor and the fastest video card you can afford. concentrate mainly on the video card selection. in your case the hard disk actually is a small factor.

however, if you intend to run some serious applications (3D rendering/ video editting/ image editting/ ect) or just want to brag get a fast hard disk. look into at least a SATA ATA150 and if you can afford it get that 15,000 RPM disk as Shrapnill was suggesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom