new prospective comp, need some help

Status
Not open for further replies.

balance17

Solid State Member
what up guys. newb here on this forum and looking for some help. i finally decided to drop some $$$ and build a pretty fast comp. sorry for all of the lame links to look at, but any help is definitely appreciated. heres what im looking at to buy.
Processor
memory
mobo
psu
HD
cd/rw

im also looking around for a sweet video card, so advice/reviews would be sweet too. if you guys see any flaws with this set up, or products even let me know. thanks a lot!! i will be sweet sticking around here for a while. later

~david

I would go with a DFI mobo, G. Skill memory kit, and a different hard drive. Give me a sec to get the links.

why do you suggest the different mobo and other ram? im not too sure about how much i want to spend on a graphics card yet..i want a pretty good one, around $400 probably. the reason im looking towards a cdrw is cuz i have a dvdburner on my laptop.

Ok well IMO you should get a DVD burner. What happens if you have to trasnfer stuff to your laptop? As for the rest of the parts...are you overclocking? If not you don't need such a fancy motherboard and ram. An MSI K8N Neo4-F paired up with 2GB of Corsair Value select would do you fine. For a video card I'd go with the 7900GT, it's about $320. What case are you getting? Power supply looks good. Get a better hard drive to.

Video card

Hard drive

Motherboard

Ram

Dude btw your SIG is WAY WAY WAY too big, the max here I think is 468 x 120.

Hey balance17,

Well, I finally saw your private message. Sorry it took so long for me to see it.

What you have picked will do nicely. However, if you have seen my sig, you know that I am a DFI fanboy. This is not something that just happened, but I actually was lead to DFI by all of my research.

I started my research about 3 months ago. My first sig looked completely different from what you see today. I actually purchased my sig this afternoon from the EGG.

I started, like you, with an ASUS mobo. This was because I have one in my existing box. Then, I ran a search for "The best gaming mobo" and DFI won hands down. Go to DFI-Street:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/index.php?

This is DFI's tech forum. You will get some great ideas from the members. They are, of course, hard-core OC'ers, so you will learn more about OC'ing than you can imagine.

I agree with your choice of processors. The X2 will future-proof your box to some extent. Nothing will do that completely, as you know. But the X2 is a good start toward that end.

I wonder if you should consider a processor with 1MB of L2 cache, however. I haven't seen definitive proof that this is necessary, but I felt that it was for me.

The guys/gals on DFI-Street will tell you to get an AMD Opteron 165/170, because they OC the best. However, keep one thing in mind -- "DFI, nor any of the manufacturers, support the use of Opty's in desktops". The reason is that AMD won't allow it. Why, I don't have a clue. The Opty was developed for servers and it could be that this is the problem. Although, they are being used with great success. I just didn't want to take a chance.

Also, I like OCZ memory. It is made for OC'ing. Therefore, if you are OC'ing and the memory fries, the warranty is still good.

Last, remember that the PSU is the back-bone of your system. Be sure to pick one that gives you the power that you require. The OCZ Powerstream 520W is the best all-around PSU made, according to DFI's "Motherboard guide".

I suggest that you read all you can on different forums and tech sites and then make your own choices. You will know better than anyone what you want your computer to do for you.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom