Wat the *** is raid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
maroon1 said:
i still don't understand how can harddrive fails with RAID0
how can files get lost by itself with RAID 0? and why?

sorry for my stupid question but i really don't know any thing about RAID

Hard drives can fail just simply because hard drives can fail. There could be a manufacturing fault or really anything. Same reasons while a single hard drive would fail in a computer. Only now, since you have at least 2 hard drives in this RAID 0 configuration, if either of them fail without a proper backup, you will lose everything. You lose everything because without Drive A's data, Drive B's data is worthless and vise-versa. Since data is stripped on both drives to lower save/seek times, they are worthless without each other.

because in RAID 0 the data is written across 2 disks. say for instance (crappy example) the word RAID is being stored on a RAID 0 array with 4 disks, it would go

DISK 1 R
DISK 2 A
DISK 3 I
DISK 4 D

the data is split across all four disks. if one fails it can no longer read that information correctly. especially when you consider the fact they are formatted under a single partition the loss of one disk would completely destroy the file system.

hrmmm... the way i see it... for a gamer, raid is awesome... cuz what important information do we really have??? i reformat without a care, so raid sounds like something for me... so i delete some games and all the photoshop crap i made (and my bro's homework :p) but who cares.... i'm pretty sure some of us don't do anything particularly important anyway..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom