PSU question... Again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorldIndustries

Daemon Poster
What a frickin' coincidence. As soon as I consider buying a new PSU, my current one starts to give out. Well. I'm not POSITIVE it's my PSU, but I'm here to verify it.

My computer just randomly reboots, but not while my CPU is loaded. Even at idle, it'll reboot. You can actually hear the PSU fan slow down and power back up again for a split second. This is all the info I have right now. Anyone think it's NOT a PSU problem, or are we all agreeing it's my generic PSU?

Considering that you can hear the PSU fan slow down and power back up, that must be the problem.

i agree , but i dont think its hopeless , you might be able to fix it
youll need wd-40 (a spray) buy it if you dont alredy have it , if you dont have it then better power off and leave it off til youll get it (to prevent the hardware from getting fried , might be possible if it will happen several more times and the psu will boom..)

unplug the power cord from the psu, lay down the case and open it up , disconnect all power cables from the various devices/mobo and unscrew the 4 screws thats holding the psu and take it out , on top of it theres 4 little screws unscrew em amd remove the cover , then unscrew the 4 screws thats holding the fan and if its with a detachable plug then unplug it then take it out , if its soldered then just take it bit out of the psu , clean it and use bit of wd-40 see these guides
http://www.dansdata.com/fanmaint.htm
http://insight.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/chips/0,39020436,2135514-2,00.htm
after puting wd-40 give it 2-3 mins to dry (and dont move the fan til the time passes..) , then put back in the psu and attach the plug to the circuit board (if it was detachable that is) and while holding the back of it start putin the screws... , anyway when done put back the cover and the screws.. , the rest is pretty obvious

It can't be the PSU fan. I only replaced it less than a month ago with a high-grade noiseless Enermax fan. I really doubt the fan is causing these reboots, especially since I've had temp monitors running, and these reboots have been occuring at temps as low as 35 C.

huh? , make up your mind :confused: :eek:

WorldIndustries said:
You can actually hear the PSU fan slow down and power back up again for a split second. This is all the info I have right now. Anyone think it's NOT a PSU problem, or are we all agreeing it's my generic PSU?
WorldIndustries said:
It can't be the PSU fan. I only replaced it less than a month ago with a high-grade noiseless Enermax fan. I really doubt the fan is causing these reboots

for a single rail, 34+ Amps, for dual 19+ On each.

However, Everything depends on what componenst your running, I just posted the high end...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom