NVIDIA GEforce 256 - questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

garybyatt

Beta member
Hi all.

Just wondering if this NVIDIA card is any good for playing Battlefields 2 and other on-line games?

The CPU is Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.70GHz

The RAM is 256 MB

I have over 10GB free space on the hard drive and have recently de-fragmented and used the Disc Cleanup function.

The internet connection is very fast but the games seem to be stuttering and going slow. Even being slow to start up!

Any ideas on how to speed up this hunk of junk? :eek:

get mor ram that might help alittle atleast get 512mb ram which should help. I would also say get atleast a 6600 at the least to play bf2 i am unsure of the specs it says on the box but i wouldn't play it if i had anythign lesser then a nvidia geforce 6600.

no i think thats his current computer. he wants to know if that geforce video card is good enough.

garybyatt: geforce is a line of cards from nVidia, and so there are dozens of geforce cards that support 256mb. you have to be specific which card you're talking about. just because it has 256mb doesn't mean its good or bad. this card can range anywhere from the 7300gs (crap) to the 7900gt (good). so do let us know..

as far as the rest of your pc is concerned.. its okay. its not great for games. its getting old. one thing that will increase performance CONSIDERABLY, especially if you're running windows XP would be to increase your ram.

Thanks for the quick help guys.

A new comp isn't really needed because I'm not a mad gamer. I have got 2 hard drives installed, the master has 10 gig free and the slave 20 gig. So... If I change the hard drives around and buy some RAM do you reckon that I'd need to get a new graphics card or not?

Thanks again

do a search on google for a geforce 256.. its what i did and it came up with an old video card.

ehh i googled it and it says it runs ar 120/166, im gonna have yo give you a big no on that, your gonna need at least a 6600 (not a 6600LE) to play battle field 2.

i recomend getting about one total gig of ram and a 6600 or above.

i have the exact same CPU, unless yours is a northwood, mine is an even crappier than a northwood, willamette. andi can run BF2 on all low setting, but it still runs very laggy and i can only go around 16 people on a map at once.

i doubt changing around hard drives will do anything for you. getting more ram will definitely help you out.

so i'm still confused.. do you or do you not have a video card?

aliasaid.. he has the graphics card.

garybyatt: Yes a new graphcis card well be needed.... but u need to get atleast 512mb ram total or higher. Don't worry about the hard drives (unless of course you jsut want to do it..)

schulz269 said:
aliasaid.. he has the graphics card.

garybyatt: Yes a new graphcis card well be needed.... but u need to get atleast 512mb ram total or higher. Don't worry about the hard drives (unless of course you jsut want to do it..)

ah ok thx.. what vid card does he have?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom