Unable to connect to internet (tried everything)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I was just curious, it won't affect anything really.

Have you tried updating your drivers for your NIC?
Uninstalling tcp/ip and reinstalling it would be next but it's a fresh install. Do you have an extra NIC around?

I don't, I'm just using the onboard one. I did reinstall the lan drivers from scratch several times to no avail. Now I'm reinstalling windows for a third time because it locked me out of my other copy since I installed the new hard drive just now.

Why is your DNS setting pointing to your router, does the router have DNS functionality? I highly doubt it. This looks wrong.

You did get an IP address from the router, I can see where the DHCP server is pointed to the router IP address. So communication with the router is happening. I can understand that when you can't get a reply from ping, it's either your firewall that is blocking ICMP reply. The ping program uses the protocol ICMP, which needs TCP port 445 enable or else you won't get a response. Basicly, disable any firewall/security/AV you have running. The router could also be blocking ICMP request.

Run a ipconfig /all on the other machines that are working and compare those setting to non working machine. Hopefully the issue may have been not recieving the correct DNS address from the router.

Law said:
Why is your DNS setting pointing to your router, does the router have DNS functionality? I highly doubt it. This looks wrong.

Home routers, since about 3-4 years ago cache and can act as a DNS. Sometimes, however, the model/make/or even individual firmware can cause it not to be extremely reliable. That's why I pointed him to 4.2.2.1 and the router as secondary. 4.2.2.1 is a DNS on the microsoft campus and it's ALWAYS up...lol
But yes, it's very common to have your home gateway also as the DNS address.

It turns out it was simply my router acting up for some reason or another. It's fixed now.. thanks everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom