Difference between Operton and X2

Status
Not open for further replies.
The opty is built with higher end silicon so it overclocks more, and the X2's have a 128kb L1 cache, but im pretty sure it dosent make a difference.

the opty's originated in servers which put more stress on the CPU, so AMd has put better more durable silicon on the CPu so it can handle more stress but it can overclock like a beast, some people have gotten an opteron 146/165 (same stock speed) around 3.0ghz!

i havent heard many people say that a X2 at the same sped as an opty runs better.

could you possibly give me an example, i've always wondered how much of a difference the L1 cache made on the X2's.

As far as I know, as long as there isn't a large price difference to sway the decision, the Opteron is going to be superior to the X2 in every way, considering it's about the same thing but has higher quality silicon (as said above) and more ruggedly tested.

The 146 and 165 don't have identical clock speeds. The 146 is 2ghz and the 165 is 1.8ghz. Both have 1mb L2 caches, while the 165 has two of them.

NathanM said:
The 146 and 165 don't have identical clock speeds. The 146 is 2ghz and the 165 is 1.8ghz. Both have 1mb L2 caches, while the 165 has two of them.

whoops, must of been thinking of the 146 and 170 or the 144 and 165.

but still some people have getten optys at 1.8ghz stock to 2.9-3.0 sometimes on air, mostly on water.

Yeah, you were still correct on that point :). Those 165s are amazing. My 146 is only at 2.5ghz on stock voltage because it was stable at that and I have never went back to overclock it anymore because I didn't see any reason to do so; the performance is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom