Windows 98SE DOS install problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

JA01

Baseband Member
can someone help me with this?

okay to start with, I had a friend of mine make me a bootable DOS cd-rom (since i dont have a floppy drive), so I could install Windows98SE. After messing around with all that, I was finally able to copy all the contents of Windows98se to a HD partition, so I can install it to another HD from that partition.

So when I go to install it, I get this message:

"Windows Setup requires 'largest executable program size' to be at least 442368 bytes to run".

Can someone tell me what that means, and what to do to fix it?

thanks alot

oh another thing, I cannot format ANY of my hard drives from either the DOS cd or the command prompt windows XP offers. Everytime I try, I get a message saying the drive is in use, and asking me if I want to "dismount" it. When I select yes, it won't let me because the drive (again) is in use. This even with partitions as well. Partitions that are blank.

Wasn't this an old problem with 98SE that you could fix with a scandisk?

Well, first....I guarantee this is on their knowledgebase. Try running a search. Also, I do believe that running a full scandisk and/or reformatting the drive containing your Windows Setup files will fix this problem. (Make sure to format FAT32 as Eric stated above)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom