AGP video cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

homeless tony

Beta member
4/20/06

Since taking a course focusing on material needed to pass the A+ exams then becoming certified I've been getting into computers.

I've been trying to do as much work as possible inside my two machines.

One of my computers, both Compaq Presario's, is running XP the other ME. The two machines, each roughly six years old, are networked through a Broadband router.

Thankfully through a bunch of troubleshooting they're both running fine.

Well actually I have been having an issue with one of these computers...

The original AGP card on my secondary machine, the computer running Windows ME, kept giving me trouble.

When I first got this machine I wiped its hard drive, ran a full version of Windows 98, then an upgrade to Windows ME.

I could never get the video display quite right. Despite downloading the supposedly correct device driver from the manufacturers website.

At this point I brought a cheap AGP card from EBAY that came with its device driver on a CD.

After installing this AGP card I'm still having the same display problems.
It installed with a Windows driver not the driver on the CD.
Now when I attempt to update the driver with the one on the CD the driver refuses to install. I unsuccessfully attempted to get an updated driver that would work from the manufacturers website when the one on the CD refused to install.

I'm seeking the following advice...

Once a new AGP card's installed are there any tricks to getting it to run properly?

Beyond the normal video resolution adjustments are there any settings I should be fine-tuning?

Thanks!

ANDY

I believe that AGP cards are almost out of production. If the card was old, it may not have a driver, but for WinME I don't know. I have found that drivers, codecs, and whatnot, it is easiest to open your own folders for keeping track of them, and collecting them. Many different media players use different ones for different media. That is that one pack or driver won't work for every type of media, even though they can be written that way.

If your onboard video is bad, I dont think you'd get anything, so even if the AGP card doesn't work (worst case), then I would suggest you get a PCI vid card instead, that matches the PCI slot in your motherboard. At worst you'd be out $30-40

Uninstall ALL the old drivers from the PC and delete any files left behind. Go to the man. site and get the latest drivers they have and install them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom