9800 Pro -> XT

Status
Not open for further replies.
If have yuo have R350 core you have a higher chance of it failing on you.

And im pretty sure you cant flash it with an R350 core :confused:

yes, you can flash an r350 core from pro to xt

youll gain about 5-15 fps in bf2, and a higher setting or two.

theres only one problem :(

something that is unlocked by the bios flash is slightly corrupted, to me it doesnt matter because all it translates to in bf2 are blocky shadows at point blank range (no shading, just black or the other color, no big deal)

on the desktop i get slight graphics distortion from something or other, but that could be the late after effects of a water leak in my water cooling system.

if you dont mind minor stuff you can get the bios for the flash from here;

http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/forums.asp?s=2&c=7&t=6527

they say not to flash the r350 core, i did it anyway, as any person with little money and a high degree of needs in the way of performance would.

its a crapshoot, and be sure to get rid of that stock heatsink, go with a zalman vf-700(?) think thats what its called, or a swiftech mcp60 waterblock if you are W/Cing.

hope this helps

***edit***

also, might i suggest backing up your original bios, pre-ocing to 412 core and 365 mem, making sure its stable, and having a pci graphics card as a back up in case? you should do all this anyway, but its esp. true for this card, and be sure to uninstall drivers first :)

Do NOT lflash the r350. Thats the worst idea ever because you can actualy harm your card. You should have done a bios dumb before the flash and switch it back. The r360s w/ 256bit memory will flash perfectly. I suggest ram cooling though cause it tweaks the ram timings as well. Anywho, if your 9800pro has a R360 chip and 256bit memory then get some ram sinks and flash it. Just to be sure though use ATItool and do a bios dumb just incase somethng bad goes wrong. Forgot something, youll want an aftermarket cooler as well cause some artifacting can occur on some models.:)

And also make sure your 9800pro can run at 9800XT speeds without artifcating or overheating

P.P. Mguire said:
Do NOT lflash the r350. Thats the worst idea ever because you can actualy harm your card.

oddly enough ive been running it this way for >2 years i believe.

do i suggest it? not really

is it possible/does it work? from my personal experience yes

damage your card? ive never heard of a bios flash that enables features killing a card, reflashing to your stock bios will remedy any problem that you might have had.

voltage requirements for the r350/360 cores are the exact same, the pinouts are the same, so tell me again, how would you damage the card when you are pumping no extra voltage through it, and just enabling some software based features/enhancements? yes, you will get image distortion on battle for proxycon in 3dmark03, and you will get distortion with a few shaders, but it aint gonna show up in bf2, source games, and most of the other higher end games, so who gives a crap.

PS, you dont see motherboards dieing because you set the timings to 2-2-2-5 1t @ 290 HTT, just a no boot :).

Ram on a video card is VERY different. I would know. I fried a 5600ultra from messing w/ ram timings on it. Also, i dont think there is anything you could flash a 9700pro too.

yes, it is different, but it is still timings, and no there is no difference between the Vram speeds/voltages on r350 and r360 versions of the card.

samsung and hynix ftw

ps, this mod doesnt change ur ram timings :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom